sold my cummins looking to but a dmax

justutt67

Wasnt sure where to post this but here we go! Sold my 04.5 cummins and am currently looking for a used duramax. My price range puts me in the 01-05 year trucks. My question is should I buy an LB7 or an LLY? I know each one has its quirks but am wondering in general which is the best option. Thanks!

lb7 has the obvious injector issues, lly has some cases of overheating and some headgasket issues. Personally I like the lly and newer trucks better than the lb7. The ability to use the VGT turbo as an exhaust brake makes them great if you are towing heavy. We have an 05 that is a shop truck/ work stock puller and has had the hell beat out of it without any problems.

between the 2 I'd say LLY but I definitely wouldn't turn down a steal of a deal on an LB7.

Ok I like what I'm hearing. There's a guy in Denver here that's a dmax guru and he likes the LB7 (his has 1200 hp) lol. He said lly's have electrical gremlins and lb7,s have injector gremlins. But he said a fass helps the injectors and cp3 alot. I test drove a 04.5 lly today it had 113,000 on it but it ran great! Only problem was the previous owner was a smoker and the wife and I picked up on that immediately. I think I can get it for around $16,500-17,000. There's a few LB7's around here too though. Tough decision.

A fass won't do a thing to help the problematic LB7 injectors. It will help the CP3 live longer as it reduces the stress on it with a tune.

If it smells like smoke rent an ozonator and let it run inside of it for 24hrs and it pretty much takes care of it unless it's real bad then it'll take longer. I did it to one of my cars and it took care of it.

Back