Solid Motor Mounts

Jacob 76

Let'er Buck
I know this has been discussed before but all the threads I found were a couple years old and didn't really give a clear answer on what Im looking for. I know that most super high HP pulling trucks use them but they run a mid plate along with solid mounts. In the threads I've read there was some debate on whether the block was strong enough to have a solid mount, meaning if there was no give it would tare the side of the block out. This is NOT for an all out competition truck I just want the most durability I can get because I hear of guys wrecking poly/rubber mounts all the time. If I have to build a mid plate thats fine, I just want to know if the block is going to be the weak link. I know that I will need to have a poly/rubber mount for the transmission so I don't break the case. Also, I know there will be way more vibration but not sure how much.

So basically the question is, will the block be strong enough; with a mid plate, without a mid plate, or just wont work in general for a street driven truck? If it will work will it vibrate apart the rest of the truck?

Any input would be appreciated.

slightly unrelated... but proves the point that blocks are easily stressed. cant imagine what solid side mounts would do to an engine over time

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLjdr2GSwU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLjdr2GSwU[/ame]

I would just do poly, even they are hard as hell.

No real reason to go solid, its not going to do any benifit, only way I would go solid is if it was with a bellhousing style mount setup and the single front mount,

Last edited:
Even if it does hold up the vibration will be annoying as hell for a daily driver. I'd build some like the merchant auto dmax ones or the Carli ones for the cummins.

My guess is that on a street truck the solid mounts would fatigue the brackets at the frame and theyd break.

AutoworldMT has a plate to add 2 1st Gen mounts in their conversions. Maybe that can help the vibes and be stronger.

I need to do something too. my motor is movong so much under launch that my air shut off bhits my frame.

I run solid mounts and have not see any issues caused by it. I would not want to do so on a daily driver though. The stock Dmax mounts are not enough to hold 600HP for any amount of time.

I have two other ideas for mounts. 1- Use regular bushings and build mounts just like the 2nd gen ones, or 2- Use flat isolator bushings and build mounts like semis use that just set flat on the frame and the engine sets flat on top of them. If nobody thinks solid mounts would be good for the street, which of these two options would be best?

I have two other ideas for mounts. 1- Use regular bushings and build mounts just like the 2nd gen ones, or 2- Use flat isolator bushings and build mounts like semis use that just set flat on the frame and the engine sets flat on top of them. If nobody thinks solid mounts would be good for the street, which of these two options would be best?

use lord liquid mounts in your second idea

Smokem on here told me to just run a drivers side only solid mount. Haven't tried it though.

Smokem on here told me to just run a drivers side only solid mount. Haven't tried it though.

Does anyone make a bolt in driver side solid mount. In the common rail they are a two piece mount, so it would just have to be the small lower portion, and it is already a bolt together design.

Does anyone make a bolt in driver side solid mount. In the common rail they are a two piece mount, so it would just have to be the small lower portion, and it is already a bolt together design.

Not that I'm aware of but it would not be hard to fab one up.

What is the benefit of just doing the drivers side? I understand that is where the motor torques but why not just make two and put one on the passenger side? Less vibration?

i've done that on a lot of my previous gasser builds and with both sides solid at certain rpm it would vibrate too much for daily use and using only the left side solid helped quite a bit.
ed

10 miles with solid mounts and you'll be willing to change bushings every 6 months.

I might give the left side only a shot. I still drive the truck on the street and would prefer less vibration.

Back