Some powdercoating

RJM06590

What to do
Got to do some powdercoating over the past couple days. It was my first time ever messing with it so go easy haha, I didn't really go over any of the casting flaws so some spots are a little rough. Also, got a little orange peel, but I figured with experience that will go away.
The pics really don't do it justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, yeah I was in my buddies hanger. The jet in the background is being rebuilt.

Last edited:
Looks decent to me. May want to pre-bake that aluminum to release any of the oil trapped in it's pores next time. Don't be afraid to lay the powdercoat on thick. My local shop claims they keep spraying until the powder doesn't stick any longer.

I pre-baked them, but I don't think I did it long enough. They put it on that thick? We're doing the owner of the hangers stuff soon so we'll have to try out some different thicknesses.

I don't think I'm ever touching a can of paint again LOL it's too easy.

I end up running the cleaned aluminum though the oven at 650F, cooling it to < 150F and then wiping down with a white lint-free rag and acetone. If the rag has anything on it, repeat the bake/wipe until the rag stays white.

Careful... your next project will be a bigger oven. Ask me how I know. LOL

Yeah I only heated them to 420, I'll definitely go hotter next time. LOL Dave already started building one about 8x8.

I recently did my valve covers on my own too. They turned out well. I had some issues but nothing too bad. It's a cool process and I enjoyed learning to do it myself.

I've been looking at the kit at harbor freight. Has any one used it? I would like to start coating things instead of painting

I recently did my valve covers on my own too. They turned out well. I had some issues but nothing too bad. It's a cool process and I enjoyed learning to do it myself.

Yeah I love doing things on my own and learning. It is definitely a cool and pretty easy process.

I've been looking at the kit at harbor freight. Has any one used it? I would like to start coating things instead of painting

I have not, we used the Eastwood gun and it was sort of falling apart on us the whole time. When I buy one it will probably be the harbour freight one.

Not sure how my other pics were deleted, they're still on photobucket? Anyway, here are some install pics. Don't mine the messy engine, it's still a purdy lawn ornament right now LOL

2011-05-24_17-33-06_254.jpg

2011-05-24_17-33-22_362.jpg

Back