Something popped in motor!

BFD99

The Stig
Lol I was driving home from work wednesday night, engine temp was about 175 degrees. Running about 60mph. Rolled into the throttle, was gonna run it up to about 90mph, guess i gave it too much throttle and it downshifted, anyways i didnt want to rev it out, so i let out just as soon as it downshifted. Soon as i let out the throttle, something popped really loud and the engine died. EGTs never got over 800 degrees and didn't even throw much boost to it. First thing i thought it was, was the input shaft, so i threw it in neutral and coasted to the side of the road. Tried to restart, so cranking and loud banging noise coming from underneath the truck when i crank it up, so i quit cranking it and decide its best not too. Got towed home by my dad, which was only about a mile. Got home and tried cranking it again, slow cranking and loud banging when cranking, finally starts up, runs 2 seconds, then something catches in the motor/tranny and kills the truck. Then its almost like its locked up. Bump the key a time or two and it will slow crank again.

Anyways, tonight me and Oklahoma6speed (Curtis) pulled the Converter bolts and started the motor to isolate whether it was the tranny or engine. Removed the bolts, started the engine and flex plate was turning but the converter wasn't, and it still made the banging noise, so i know the issue is in the motor. Pulled valve cover, everything looked normal under there as far as I could tell. Everything seemed tight under there. Oil is normal, coolant is normal, trans fluid is nice and pink. Do y'all think its a bearing or rod or something like that? Or maybe a dropped valve? All that is done to the truck is Bully Dog with crazy larry tune, built tranny, boost fooler, intake and exhaust. Truck has seen 1700 degree temps a few times at the track and on the street, but never for more than just about 3 seconds. So the truck is all set back to stock and going to Dodge monday morning. Any bets on what it could be?
Thanks,
Dex :thankyou2::charger:

thats what everyone seems to think, dude Devon, the mega in your sig looks awesome! All you need to do is paint the wheels and be done with it. I like it alot!
Sorry if the original post is hard to read, it all makes sense in my head, i just had a hard time explaining it in words. LOL

i hope you're blowing the diesel mechanic if you think it'll be replaced under warranty

Sounds to me like a rod let loose, hell banging and catching when you start it...sounds like the rotating assemly anyways from your discription.

Check the flexplate to crank bolts...engine will run normally, but sounds like a rod knocking...it's a longshot, but I've had issues with it before, and it's better than a main or rod bearing;) ;)

Chris

i hope you're blowing the diesel mechanic if you think it'll be replaced under warranty
I have a hard time thinking I caused this. It's always up to temp or almost up to temp before i beat on it, I change the fuel filter everytime i change the oil, and I use Valvoline premium Blue. Always use fleetguard filters. I mean the truck is stock turbo, cp3, injectors, cam, springs, pretty much everything other than the Bullydog. Seems like this would be just a freak deal to happen, since there are other people who drive their trucks much hard at higher power levels than i do. I mean my truck can't be more than 440rwhp i bet. Just seems weird it would spin a bearing or something like that when there are ALOT of other trucks with more than 600horsepower with stock bottom end motors. I'm a believer in you play you pay, but I haven't abused this truck at all, and I haven't pushed it really hard in a month or two. Just seems like a freak thing that has happened to me at at least.

the broken/cracked/missing bolts on the flex plate will be my #2 route.

check oil and tear filter apart to check media. use an inspection mirror and lite to check flex plate.

have you ever removed flex plate? I always buy new bolts every time I change out flex plates. That way I know the bolt isnt stretched. Just like head bolts. one time use only IMO.

Dex, Thank you very much on the truck compliment. your truck is my 2nd favorite style after the mega cab. the color looks awesome. havnt seen many sports like that.

and if i dealership cant legaly prove an aftermarket product caused the failure, it is under warrenty. his exhasut and intake will definately not void the warrenty. the bully dog may if the dealer wants to get picky but if you know the guy lots can be achieved under warrenty. alwasy pays to make freinds with every dealer you can. I have several ford, dodge, gm i can go to with mods and wont be denied.

flexplate hasn't ever been off of it. I would start tearing into it, but don't want to do too much, because if i'm taking it to the dealer, don't want to do anything that might make them more suspicious. Also wouldn't want to drain the oil and filter because i'd have to fill it back up with oil before i take it in and that'd be at least 40$ i'd spend having to put some back in before i took it in.

im sorry if i was being a negative nancy last night. I have heard of a lot of people busting the internals of the motor up pretty bad with just a programmer and the dealer denied them warranty. On the other hand i've heard some people with cam, injectors, turbo, upgraded cp3 getting warrantied for floating a valve. Wish you all the luck

thanks man i appreciate it. I thought it was tranny when it happened and was fully prepared to handle the consequences. But when i discovered it was probably the motor i was like WTF! Specially since i do all routine maintence and cover all the bases on the truck regularly.

yeah that definitely sucks, and kind of makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it actually. This may have nothing to do with it, but i've heard of ford lightning's doing the same thing on the interstate. If you punch it at around 60 in 4th gear, the tranny shifts to second and puts a ton of stress on the rods and does some major damage. whatever it is, i hope you get it fixed in a timely and economical mannor

Back