sorry another twins question

kennyblatz

i am looking to get out of the cummins world and get a duramax. i want to build twins but i want the best street set up possable. what would be the fastest spooling setup? i have a gt4094r in my cummins and it lights way to late how are they on a duramax? would it light better or would i be better off with a 3788r for a small turbo? im more worried about my small turbo choice the big can be matched after. im not to worried about final hp range 550-600 would be nice i just want it to be reponsive.
any input would be great

i am looking to get out of the cummins world and get a duramax. i want to build twins but i want the best street set up possable. what would be the fastest spooling setup? i have a gt4094r in my cummins and it lights way to late how are they on a duramax? would it light better or would i be better off with a 3788r for a small turbo? im more worried about my small turbo choice the big can be matched after. im not to worried about final hp range 550-600 would be nice i just want it to be reponsive.
any input would be great

First you have to decide which dmax you are going with? Big difference between the LB7 and the later models. The stock turbos on the LBZ and LMM are a great small turbo that can easily make the hp number you are looking to and very responsive. I run a 4094 over a 5533 in my 06 and while you can't stomp it and expect instant response, it does spool quickly if you roll into the throttle. It's a play race truck, not intended for any towing, I run a 1053 TC so it pretty loose. Remember the dmax moves a lot more air than the Cummins, so it will spool quicker. You need to decide exactly what you are looking for. You might try your 4094 first then if you are not satisfied change it.

Had s474 / silver 6280 great response, had them since May. Dual fuelers and 20%'s. It was 2001 cc. October 8 pushed piston through block. R.I.P. LB7......Be careful with stock bottem end...It was ugly!

I have a 4202R to a phat bastard. The response is great. My truck is a 7.1 stroker though. For what you want, I'd go with a 4094 to a GT4718. Response and power would be great. Building the bottom end and doing headstuds would be a good idea though. Then you don't have anything to worry about. Rob Coddens at ATP could build you a set for exactly what your looking for. Absolutely fantastic guy to deal with!!

Anything wrong With the stocker/475 set? That would spool quick as chit I'd think and net 600hp

thanks for the replies so far, i think were going to do a 475/stock on my brothers truck then i want to do something a little different with my new truck (new to me). i think the 4094r with something else would work good. I'll be doing all my own fabbing. we are tossing around the idea of moving or relocating the small turbo aswell to build a intake manifold.

Kenny, Brett (dvst8r) has a S480 laying around. Similar to a 4718 in size/mass flow, might be an option for you.

I had a S366 with the 74mm exh wheel and .88 gated exhaust housing and a S480... at 2200rpm holding the breaks I was building 20 psi.

im thinking a gt3788r with a s480 or close should spool really quick. my dodge is a 5speed so im not sure if wicked spool up is all that important if its going to down shift anyway.

GT4094 and GT45 or my choice of setups would be a 4094R with a F1C

i do like the idea of a sc feeding the turbo but in the 1 maybe 2 videos i can find it seems like you have alot of whine from the sc in cab. does the video make it seem worse then it is? part of the reason for selling my dodge is to get a little quieter ride.

In all of the responses to the OP I haven't heard one thing about tuning. As previously stated all of these scenarios in a build depend on the generation model you are building. Streetable use I would say the GT47 or an S475 or 480 with a stocker or your 40r. However, one thing that the Duramax has over on the other two factory models is "ease of tuning." Whichever you decide to go with it is very important to find someone who will tune the truck to make it last. There are several accomplished tuners out there (I am going to stay out of the pointing fingers, but IdahoRob and Ridgerunner are probably the two better known). Ask around to find your options about tuning. Furthermore, try to find somebody that will spend seat-time in the truck to tune it. IMO if I were a new twin builder I wouldn't undertake the task of tuning by myself. So with that said, welcome to the wonderful world of Duramax, I am sure you will like the ride.

SC whine is only on the larger head units. I will try and post some video of a D1SC headunit on a Duramax. In my personal truck you can hardly hear the supercharger.

But if its twins we can also set ya up with a custom kit as well.

Last edited:
Back