Sounds like Rod Knock

talonkid119

Not Enough
Well i started my truck up this morning and everything seemed fine. Pulled out of my drive way and rolled down the street i could hear a light knocking noise when i let it idle, but went away when i gave it more gas it went away. i started to drive over to my pairents house and when i was sitting at the light it was really loud rapping away pretty good. I was able to milk it to there house were i do all my work, kept it above 1400rpms where it was quiet. The engine has 131k on it and has been running good ever since has good oil pressure around 45 at idle. Do you think i could have spun a rod bearing? I was also wondering if a siezed lift pump could make all this noise. Its hard to pin-point the noise but it seems like like its coming from the bottom of the motor as apposed to the head area.

if you guys have any idea of where i should start with. I was going to pull the pan tonight and see if i can see anything.
:doh:
thanks,
Mike

Generally a rod knock will increase in time with rpms.

Ok thanks.

I Messed around with it a little more and it seems like the noise is coming from the flex-plate converter area. The noise got louder when i removed the little cover plate on the bell housing. Maybe i cracked the flex-plate?

thanks,
Mike

oh! This sounds a little like when the converter bolts backed out on my old '68. Check that.

Back