Southbend Con OFE let loose

B.A.Ram

A Big Deal
Long story short we decided to do donuts in my buddies field Sat night and I was able to shift through 5th before I realized the clutch wasn't grabbing. Mind you it was fine in 2nd, let loose from third on. Pedal went dead and I couldn't put it in gear. Let it cool down...burnt clutch smells like ace...and after I did I could put it in and out of gear with ease but the clutch seems to release later than before. I haven't had a chance to really get on it since but it seems to hold, just more jerky on take-off in second. I don't tow, drag race, or sled pull and my daily commute is 10 miles putting a 10,000 plus or minus on the clutch. Anybody had a similar problem? :banghead:

That's interesting. I have a feeling you toasted that clutch pretty good. Hopefully it'll still hold.

on a dual friction clutch like that, you most likely roasted through the organic side, and now the chatter/etc. you're feeling is steel to steel.

the clutch may hold, but it wont' hold what it should, and you're on the downhill slope

If the clutch is under a year old I would talk to Peter at South Bend.

Bobcat698 said:
If the clutch is under a year old I would talk to Peter at South Bend.
My thoughts exactly- Pete is one of the nicest folks to deal with.....

lol, no video...I'll call Peter and see what he has to say...glad to know that this is gonna cost more money...:bang

B.A.Ram said:
lol, no video...I'll call Peter and see what he has to say...glad to know that this is gonna cost more money...:bang

Maybe not. I talked to Peter and he warranteed (sp?) my FE minus shipping.:bow: I cracked every other spline all the way through and put two cracks in the hub. I even told him I was over the hp rating they had on it.

i tore my con ofe up too... it was about two weeks after i installed my silver bullet and i decided to go try some 25psi, 3rd gear launches lets just say i didnt go anywhere:badidea: pulled it out and there were 1/2" chunks missing out of it :bang :bang now ive got the sbc dd 3850 in it. and it doesnt mind the launches at all even has 7 hooks on it:woohoo:

Well I'm calling and talking to him today. Hopefully it's not ruined as it still shifts smooth...I just haven't gotten on it yet to see if it will hold. Guess I will find that out this weekend..:evil

id say your ofe is probably just fine. you over heated it. give it about 50-60 miles to re seat and it will hold again. that being said if you arent over 550 hp. i ran my OFE very hard with over 600HP for over a year and it finally came apart doing a launch at the drag strip.

as for southbend, thay are the best money cane buy. and there is no doubt that peters customer service and knowlage of these clutches are top notch.

Thanks for the info Robert. After driving it the past week it seems to be doing fine, other than the clutch smell still lingering when it gets to operating temp, I assume that's just residue from when I slipped it...

Back