Spacing Duals

2" spacers will give you plenty of room. I ran them on mine for years, with heavy towing, with no issues

I ran 2" spacers for years with heavy towing. With a 2" spacer the hub is still long enough to stick out of the outer wheel. So it still centered on the hub

Unless it is specific for a certain vehicle it can't be hub centric anyway. Most of the spacers I have seen are lug centric.

The aam axles have tapered hubs. Been down this road already. Get a spacer that doesn't have the machined lip for the outer wheel or doesn't use the larger lugs like Arrowcraft and you will have a vibration similar to an unbalanced wheel. I've used the ebay spacers that implement none of the above mentioned and had a terrible shake. Went to Arrowcraft and been good. My friend ran the ones from Wheelspacer and all is good

Sent from Razr Maxx

My truck has that shake... I just deal with it.

Na I run 3 inch with my 12.5 2 just wasn't enuf room

Was there any room between the tires ive got 285's on mine right now and im thinking about going to a 305 i measured between them and right now i have about 1 1/4 inch before they touch and i dont tow anything with the truck

I had a set of hubcentric wheels without the vibrations on my old ford. Then I went a little cheaper on my dodge when it had duals and the vibration drove me nuts. It's definately worth the extra bucks to get it right the first time.

The only way to get hubcentricity on the outside rim is to bore the rim and get spacers with a lip turned on them. Then you can't rotate your rims/tires. Or, you could get another set of rims and weld a thicker, tapered lug hole plate on them. Then you can have lug centricity on the outside. I messed with CAD software for a long time trying to re-invent the wheel, or wheel spacer so to speak, and never came out with a good idea. I ran the 1.75" spacers on the 2002 for over 100,000 miles with them and towed the crap out of them. They are 6061-T6 AL. I guess you could get the steel ones if you want more strength, but I've never seen any cracks in either of them. Keep in mind, the wider the wheel, the more stress you'll put on them.

My desire back in the day was to find longer studs that could be pressed into the factory hubs. Then a simple plate with 8 holes could be made at any width. The thing about spacers is that it is a PITA to rotate tires. It adds another 16 nuts. Whenever placing the outside wheel, I'd just put it up there and lift up just a tad and try to get it as centered as possible when mounting. No way to get it perfect. A little shake....yes, sometimes. The shake will change every time the tires are rotated.

I've also heard, but never confirmed myself, that you could use Ford rims on the outside since they have a larger center bore. Then you could get spacers made with the ring on them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The only way to get hubcentricity on the outside rim is to bore the rim and get spacers with a lip turned on them. Then you can't rotate your rims/tires. Or, you could get another set of rims and weld a thicker, tapered lug hole plate on them. Then you can have lug centricity on the outside. I messed with CAD software for a long time trying to re-invent the wheel, or wheel spacer so to speak, and never came out with a good idea. I ran the 1.75" spacers on the 2002 for over 100,000 miles with them and towed the crap out of them. They are 6061-T6 AL. I guess you could get the steel ones if you want more strength, but I've never seen any cracks in either of them. Keep in mind, the wider the wheel, the more stress you'll put on them.

My desire back in the day was to find longer studs that could be pressed into the factory hubs. Then a simple plate with 8 holes could be made at any width. The thing about spacers is that it is a PITA to rotate tires. It adds another 16 nuts. Whenever placing the outside wheel, I'd just put it up there and lift up just a tad and try to get it as centered as possible when mounting. No way to get it perfect. A little shake....yes, sometimes. The shake will change every time the tires are rotated.

I've also heard, but never confirmed myself, that you could use Ford rims on the outside since they have a larger center bore. Then you could get spacers made with the ring on them.

attachment.php

Why only 3 bolts on your axle flange? :)

Back