Spartan + 6.4 + Tranny = ???

CSaley

I am fairly new to the wholle ford, 6.4 game. I have always been a Cummins fan..

Anyway how do these 6.4s do with a 310 spartan tune and a non built auto tranny?

Thanks!

Fuel only they seem to do fine. I'm sure how often you beat on it has an effect on it to though.

I'd like to know too, i'm selling my twin turbo 12 valve for a 6.4 and intend to put a 310 tune on it.

like danny said they usually do fine, i've heard the 275 spartan would be a better DD tune and easier on the tranny. It all depends on driving style and how hard you beat on it.

I've had our 450 set on the 310 tune and towed heavy with it and not had any trouble so far. One thing about it though, I dont like the harsh shifting the 310 gives you for every day driving.

Any of the tuners will work out pretty well. Trans shifting can be tailored between who you get the tuner from. If your running a stock trans I know Spartan has a TCM you can get that helps out. But if you gonna upgrade your trans then you can do without it. I dont run Spartan, for the record.

The tranny is perfectly fine with the 275 and under tunes as long as your not an idiot with the truck. The 310 tune is ok for daily driving, but if you begin to beat on it then its going to really limit the life. The new 350 tune is a transmission eater.

i run a 345 tune truck loves it gets the best milage have the 350 tune but it turns the tranny to crap. guess it just means time for a tranny build! you will; be safe with the 310 just dont bag it to much.

i run a 345 tune truck loves it gets the best milage have the 350 tune but it turns the tranny to crap. guess it just means time for a tranny build! you will; be safe with the 310 just dont bag it to much.

If your referring to the 345 tune from KEM, that's because it's about the same power level as our 310 tune. Our 350 tune is recommended for use with a Suncoast, not the stock tranny.

Going by same day dyno numbers for comparison, yes I am serious.

the same way the spartan 345 was slower in my white truck than the 310? for some reason im not sure if these tunes (345-350) have truly earned their name.

the same way the spartan 345 was slower in my white truck than the 310? for some reason im not sure if these tunes (345-350) have truly earned their name.

Here was the scenario Mike....

My truck was tuned with Matt's 350 file. Stock tranny still and the other mods I have on 35" tires. The other truck (a friend of Mike's) was tuned with the 345 tune, had a built tranny, and was on stock tires. Mine made 545 hp (WEAK) with the torque converter slipping like a mfer. His truck made 525 hp on fuel, and like 640 something on spray. Same dyno (David's).

I agree with you about the tunes though. They are definitely not proving to be stronger in my opinion.....at least not at the track. I will find out next time I go though.

My tranny is holding up fine. It should with no slippage whatsoever on 2nd and 3rd shift. Not a fan of the tranny tuning. Running 275 tune for almost a year. I can tow race truck, 22ft flatbed and have a loaded truck bed and not get over 1150 EGT uphill with cruise. 310 is a bit too touchy on the street in my opinion. For the record my truck pukes with the 310 tune also. Need that EGR delete and wastegate.

If you don't plan on running nitrous then you can get the egr/egr cooler delete kit from dirty diesel. Our turbos act as a wastegate and can handle as much backpressure as a truck without nitrous can throw at it. Plus their kit can be installed without pullin the cab

Last edited by a moderator:
ive ran the 350 spartan on my truck for about 4 months now or how ever long its been out and ive had no problems with it YET. I daily drive with the 250 tune but i ran a 12.73 with the 350 tune on a stock trans. Trans is till doing fine.

it will do fine for awhile but it will eventually go out so just start saving. my buddies went out after a lil over 100k

im running erics tunes and its been tuned for 20,000 miles with the sct i didnt have to buy some spatan tcm to ru it either.

i have never treid them, but am really pleased with my sct live wire./

Back