Special lockup programming on '96 47RE?

CaptainChrysler

Finally got the build trans installed and took it out for a drive. The lockup switch does not work. I verified all of the wiring, and have decided I have one of the PCM's that doesn't allow this to work. My question is, if the jumper wire in the PDC supplies the power to the solenoid and the switch provides the ground, how does it not work? It locks up as it should under normal operation, just not when commanded by the switch.

Anybody experienced this?

Finally got the build trans installed and took it out for a drive. The lockup switch does not work. I verified all of the wiring, and have decided I have one of the PCM's that doesn't allow this to work. My question is, if the jumper wire in the PDC supplies the power to the solenoid and the switch provides the ground, how does it not work? It locks up as it should under normal operation, just not when commanded by the switch.

Anybody experienced this?

If you think you have the jumper wire in the right spot and you think you are grounding the solenoid....

You should recheck your wiring, because 12V across a working solenoid will pull it in, regardless of PCM.

Last edited:
Flip the switch and make shur #7 pin on the trans is grounded out, check wiring on the back of the switch.

If pin #1 has power and #7 is grounded it will lock, Take a test light and check your switch and the transmission connection. There is no way the pcm can prevent lockup. If your using the little snap on clips make shur you use pliers to bury that metal tab into the wires to make a good contact.

I have a switch providing ground to pin 11 of the center PCM connector, and jumper across the normally open contacts in the trans relay.

There was a note in the TST instructions about some '96 models, is this BS?

I ran my lockup switch straight to the trans,but i run a full manual vb so only 3 wires and no pcm. Iirc it's an orange wire.

I ran my lockup switch straight to the trans,but i run a full manual vb so only 3 wires and no pcm. Iirc it's an orange wire.

yea, Orange wire with a black stripe IIRC

On all the 24v ones ive done there are 2 orange wires, I believe the correct one is the one that does NOT see power when the key is turned on.

Back