specs for o-ringing the head....

cumminsX

Can't make up my mind
Does anyone have any good specs for the groove width and depth, protrusion, groove diameter ect..
I read somewhere .014 protrusion, is this pretty standard? Also what wire is used and does it come as a ring or does it have to be made? I am new to this and there is very few places to have this done, the machinist that is doing the block said that if I could get him the specs he would look into it and see if it was something he could do. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

0.039 width, 0.29 depth, 120mm bore center. work fine for me ! with 0.041 SSwire. Those specs are from SMOKEM !!! That mean that you can close your eyes on this, and do it without any questions, belive me !!! This is the knowledge on this site

Thankyou, do you know if you just cut the wire to length and but the ends together or is it an actual ring? thanks

the machinist said that he was pretty sure the injector hole was in the center, is this a good reference point to go from?

yes but I had used the dowel sleeve in the front and the back of the head for reference, then I can take the CNC program for my friends who own 12 valve engine ! By the way, use a 12 valve 0.020 head gasket, seem's to hold better and the water flow is better on a 12 valve gasket. Just a couple holes to oversise.

Last edited:
I think you must mean .029 because that would give you the .012 protrusion with the .041 wire, is this correct? thanks.

Ok I think I've got it thankyou for the great info, just what I needed.

that is exactly what I had used ! I work as an aircraft mechanic and I took this wire at work LOL it was free :hehe:

I was wondering the same thing, when he decked the block I think he shaved .007 off and I was wondering if I should make up the difference in HG thickness. Anyone know if this is right?

It depend's, I did use a 0.020 12 valve head gasket because I had removed material from the head and the block. Also, somebody told me that 0.020 12 valve head gasket hold better then others.

Ok, so heres the question....I have .120 fire rings, what should be the protrusion? And also I have quite a bit shaved off the head and the block deck once from stock. Do I need the .20 12v gasket? Im just worried that my injectors are going to sit too low in the piston with a stock gasket, and not get enough crush with a .20 over gasket..........

So with my head being stock, no decking done to it, same with the block, a .020 might be too thick??

Where did you get the fire rings from? Machining instructions should have been included.

It kinda top secret where I got them from. But you would be suprised on who is running them! But they are made for Top Alcky motors and have been proven in Diesel and Gas high HP motors. but Im picking them up tomorrow. Ill just have to ask the guy what protrusion he has used on previous motors.

Back