Speedo Wiring With a NV5600 in a 1997

CumminNotRunnin

Internet Mechanic
I have installed a nv5600 out of a 2002 truck into a 1997 12v.

My question is, this t-case does not have the speed sensor in the tailshaft.

How can I wire the orginal speedo to the rear ABS sensor.

I have searched Alldata and the forums for a bit but I dont see any info on it. The rear ABS uses a + and - to the PCM and the speed sensor uses a 5v supply, ground and signal to get the voltage for the speedo. Can I use the signal line from the speed sensor and tap into either the + or - line on the rear speed sensor.

Any information is much appreciated. Thanks,

I thought of doing the same in my '90 but I preferred not to tap into the VSS wiring and chance any malfunctions with the ABS. Even though it sucks!

What I did was buy a speedometer interface from Dakota Digital as well as an inductive pick-up with 4 small magnets glued/epoxied/zip-tied to the driveshaft. The way I wired it, the 2 wires from the magnetic sensor hooked to the speedo interface and a single output wire piggybacked to the input wire in the 6-way connector in the back of the instrument cluster. After messing around with the sensor and finding the right distance from the magnets, the calibration was damn close to right on and only needed to very slightly adjust the signal from the interface.

I'll find the link from a write up I posted over on DTR and post it here.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

Last edited:
How did you come up with a mounting bracket for the drive shaft pickup. Off the rear pumpkin or the tail of the transfer case?

You cant substitute because of the difference in wave forms and voltages.
You could build a signal processor from parts on amazon but its more than most want to undertake.

I tried to pull TSS from mine but it did strange things each time I watched it.

Reaper of Threads

I wanted to use the 241HD that came with the transmission, Not put the 241LD back in it. I see can swap the tailhousing of both t-case but I would need to swap the main shaft from the LD to the HD because the main shafts are cut different to to retain the speed gear. To swap the complete LD over which I was trying to refrain from I would still need to swap the input hubs because it was an automatic.

I would just wait and find another hd and make it way simpler. I actually have one that needs work.

How did you come up with a mounting bracket for the drive shaft pickup. Off the rear pumpkin or the tail of the transfer case?

The pick-up and magnets came as a kit with a bracket from Dakota Digital. I've got pictures in the thread on DTR also.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

You cant substitute because of the difference in wave forms and voltages.

This is what I found in my research prior to going the route I went. The signal from the VSS for the ABS is apparently a square wave and just wouldn't work even with the SGI-5 speedo interface.

I've since moved the sensor closer to the driveshaft as the magnets are somewhat weak and I wasn't seeing a signal until about 50mph. Now, it comes up around 15mph. I also lost one of the magnets a couple of weeks ago. I guess the epoxy wasn't very strong or I didn't clean the driveshaft all that well. I bought a 6-pack of "Super Magnets," Neodymium disc shaped magnets from Home Depot and used one to replace the one I lost. So far, I only have a zip-tie around it and the other 3 that remain attached. I'm tempted to remove the other 3 and replace them with the "Super Magnets." I'm certain they'll produce a stronger signal.

Here are the pictures from the thread just for visuals.

Sensor, bracket and magnets.
100_8025.jpg

6-way connector that plugs into the instrument cluster circuit board.
100_8016.jpg

Piggybacked to the factory signal wire from the VSS when the truck had the 5-spd Getrag. Easily reversible in the future if necessary.
100_8015.jpg

100_8017.jpg

100_8019.jpg

Instructions for use with an aftermarket or OEM speedometer.
100_8023.jpg

Last edited:
I used the SGI 5 speedo interface on my truck because I'm putting in a 271 and my speedo works fine. I got a signal from the rear speed sensor under the center of the dash at the ABS unit. I also got the key power there and I just grounded it to the dash and ran the signal out wire to the back of the cluster. I cut the original wire going to the speedo and hooked it up. It was way off at first but they are so tuneable that after ten minutes of driving around with my GPS I got it right on.

Makin chicken salad out of chicken chit every day...

I used the SGI 5 speedo interface on my truck because I'm putting in a 271 and my speedo works fine. I got a signal from the rear speed sensor under the center of the dash at the ABS unit. I also got the key power there and I just grounded it to the dash and ran the signal out wire to the back of the cluster. I cut the original wire going to the speedo and hooked it up. It was way off at first but they are so tuneable that after ten minutes of driving around with my GPS I got it right on.

Makin chicken salad out of chicken chit every day...

Does your ABS still function properly after using these for inputs?

I just spliced in so it's sending the same signal to both the SGI5 unit and the Abs computer. I have no Abs lights though. Although my truck isn't equipped with front Abs anyway because it's a 95 it only has the one speed sensor on the diff for abs

I like to go fast

If you would like I could try to find the wiring diagrams I used and could better explain what I spliced into. I based mine off another members experiences on here with the same unit but he did all his splices outside the cab. I just followed all the wires per the diagrams to the inside of the truck and spliced them there instead where the weather can't get to them.

I like to go fast

If you would like I could try to find the wiring diagrams I used and could better explain what I spliced into. I based mine off another members experiences on here with the same unit but he did all his splices outside the cab. I just followed all the wires per the diagrams to the inside of the truck and spliced them there instead where the weather can't get to them.

I like to go fast

Back