Split another injector nozzle . . .

BC847

I've been running these EDM 6x016" injectors since around 05/09/09. One of them split a tip around 10/12. Had another split this past Thursday.

WTH?

I reckon I've been leen lucky thus far and haven't trashed the engine with a tip getting loose.

They might have 10,000miles on them (guessing), and I've beat the crap out of them with all a dinky 12mm VE rotary IP can give them.

Would this fit into the category: Chalk it up to "The nature of the beast"?
Is there anything I might be doing to contribute to their demise such as crazy injection event timing? Super-thin injector washers? . . . . . ?

- Stock/OEM short-block less Zach's 188/220 cam.
- Ported intake pockets and exhaust pockets/ports. Zach's springs and pushrods.
- HT3B into a S362/14,
- Big IC, air in, air out, and all the other crap.

Thoughts?

Split-Nozzle_zps6c7f2945.jpg

Thanks guys.

How is the VE pump set up?

Well, pretty-much stock/OEM as far as internal machining goes. Else, the typical 3800ish rpm governor-spring, machined AFC fuel-pin, etc.

I have been dicking around with modifying the dynamic timing advance mechanism as of late (compare it to dicking with the weights and springs of the old-school mechanical advance in the distributor of a SB350 or the likes). Nothing radical by any means.

In fact, the first tip split running the original (250ish thousand miles) IP. This one split with a NOS OEM IP with maybe 4000 miles on it now.

Last edited:
Dynamic such as what? M&H spacer? Or setting the timing with a dial indicator off the back of the pump?

Degrees of timing set at what?

Dynamic such as what? M&H spacer? Or setting the timing with a dial indicator off the back of the pump?

Degrees of timing set at what?
Forgive me, I did fail to include the M&H spacer.

As far as the dynamic timing mechanism, I'm running a custom, adjustable timing piston cover in place of the KSB. Such allows me to better dial-in a given timing-piston spring when running altered case-pressure (dialing-in the advance curve).

I quit messing with the dial-indicator off the back of the pump some time ago and now use a timing light. With that, I'm anywhere from 16 to 20some degrees IIRC. Nothing set in stone at the moment.

But that's all recent and wouldn't have any input with the initial tip splitting.

What might you be digging for?

Checked your fuel quality lately?

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Ok so is there any one cylinder that fails in particular?

- Just your typical pump diesel for DD else a stout dose of Stanadyne stuff on race-day.
- No particular cylinder.

In each case, the tip has split right through the middle as depicted above. Further, it wasn't an acute failure. The failure came about over the course of a few miles (going down the highway). Just noticed a drop in power, fog out the exhaust, etc.

It's come to my attention that I'm not alone in having this problem . . . Another VE driver's nozzle of the same make/vendor . . .

DSC01271_zpsb6246623.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at both nozzles I would venture to say the EDM process wasn't proper, but that's my opinion with out a closer look.

yeah what were the symptoms when this happened? just a haze and loss of power and/or a knock? or a very noticeable haze? Would like to know what to look for... as sometimes I get paranoid...

I talked to Dan a year or so ago since I run 5x25's and I figured a crack in a nozzle that size was a "play, you pay" type deal, but he said the nozzle design has a lot to do with it, and I shouldn't be worried. If you have an older set of nozzles, I would try and call Dan and see if you have the least "crack proof" injectors available. He is usually at the Terre Haute phone number, and if he knows you're a hands on type of guy he would probably just send new nozzles if that's your issue.

I did call Terre Haute and spoke with Joe (before I'd read your post, Jason). While he did propose it may very well be general fatigue, he didn't really . . . . . present as being interested? I dunno.
He actually audibly yawned at one point during our conversation.

Yeah, I'd made at least one decision by the end of that phone call.

I've called and spoken with him (Joe) a couple of times. Once to price injectors and once to price a new 12mm VE. Both times I went elsewhere to spend my money.

Back