Stack Clamps

Black04Ram

Is there any alternative out there for 7inch stack clamps beside the staxx clams for 230 dollars.. the crappy grand rock ones keep breaking and im in need of 2 clamps.. any opinions?

Is there any alternative out there for 7inch stack clamps beside the staxx clams for 230 dollars.. the crappy grand rock ones keep breaking and im in need of 2 clamps.. any opinions?

This seems like a good time to ask. We have looked at making some of these but I am curious what do you feel a high quality clamp for a 7" stack should cost? Obviously the cheap band clamp styles prove they dont hold up. So be realistic. To have something well made and designed to fit your set up, what is it worth?

I'm one of Staxx Clamps dealers and owners of their clamps. I'm very anal about what's done to my truck. I looked and looked for something decent and there is nothing.

The guy that makes the clamp barely makes $40 to $50 per set. There's a lot of solid billet material used, CNC programming, machinist to do the work and then they're hand polished because a machine cat do it.

They're expensive but, you'll find nothing better.

I have to agree with you on the process and the materials required. Its not "cheap" to make parts like this. I would imagine soon enough someone will have an off shore die cast clamp and it will available at Wal-mart and such.

there a difference in using the staxx clamps. They don't mount like your typical clamp does. They bolt through the bed for a tight, secure hold that doesn't come loose or wallow out holes. There's a block that goes between the bed and cab and the bolts go straight through the clamps, through the bed into the block.

Most clamps are screwed into the bed using sheet metal screws. they're guaranteed to wallow out at some point.

Do you have a picture of what is breaking? I was talking to Eric at VulcanPerformance this week and he has access to 7" stack clamps, I just want to make sure they aren't the same ones you have. The ones Eric has look pretty stout.

can someone point me to where they are buying the 7" stacks that reduce to 5". looking to buy one.

i paid $215+shiping for my chrome 7x36"L stack with 5" reducer on it...got it from "the chrome room" on ebay.

I made my 7inch clamp for 10bucks and it hasnt broken yet....took a piece of 12gauge steel 1inch wide heated and bent it around a 7inch round block of wood i cut then twisted the end were i could bolt them to the bed rail and drilled a whole to run a threaded rod through to tightend it down!

heres the best pic i have right now i can get you some more if your interested...

DSC_0180-1.jpg

I went to a local Peterbuilt dealership and bought my 6inch stack clamp for about 60bucks. It's chrome and it bolts to the bed.

You had a nice aluminum stack clamp made TJ. What do you figure you would have to pay for another one, or if you went to sell one to someone what would you figure for a price?

What part is breaking? I've got over 100K miles on stack clamps and haven't had one break yet.. Not to say they won't just curious as to where on the clamp ?

for them to be popular enough to sell to the average stack owners...im gonna go with the the price being under $100 a piece. i mean if you can buy a stack kit for $550 these days, not many guys are willing to give up $500 for a set of clamps.

if you were going to make them in bulk via C&C machine and you were getting the raw materials from a supplier in as close to the rough shape as possible to minimize waste and extra time machining, it should be able to be done for just under $100 a piece. Again this is only if you are getting the materials in bulk already cut to a rough size ready to be put into the C&C machine.

and before the STAXX guy comes in here whining and pissing again, im not saying your clamp is not worth the money, its just that if you are doing these on a small scale the cost will most definitely be higher per unit to manufacture them.

it's not that clamps are breaking. They have to be screw to the bed and those screws eventually come loose and wallow out the hole

and before the STAXX guy comes in here whining and pissing again, im not saying your clamp is not worth the money, its just that if you are doing these on a small scale the cost will most definitely be higher per unit to manufacture them.

if you were referring to me, no one was whining and pissing. There's a reason they cost what they do. IMO, if you think you can do better, you should. As of now, the Staxx are the only one's of their kind and sometimes you have to pay for quality.

Too many want to cut someones work down before they have a clue about what goes into it. I have no vested interested in the Staxx's, only a user and have talked in detail to the man behind them.

You don;t have to biocth about them. Just don;t buy them if you feel they're too much for you. I know he couldn't keep up with the demand there for a while so your opinion isn't shared by everyone.

He wasn't talking about you Triton...he was showing pictures of the clamp he had machined a while back, and the guy who builds the STAXX clamps came in and whined about it being a rip off.

I think we all understand there's always a high priced, and cheaper way to do things...some guys can't do things themselves, or would rather pay for the knowledge and experience that went into a particular product. Other guys can fabricate the stuff themselves, or source it locally.

Personally, TJ isn't selling them and cutting int the margins of the STAXX clamps...if he does start selling them for $100, then maybe STAXX guy needs to find a better place to buy materials? After all, surely he isn't trying to pay for a CNC machine by selling stack clamps to a small sector of the diesel market?

Chris

Back