Stainless Diesel Spring Gate

biggy238

So, I put a spring gate on my 64x71 S300, and now I can't spool the turbo.

I had a strap holding the gate shut before, and wasn't having any real trouble. Now I have a terrible smoke monster.

So my question is this:
How much spring tension should I need? I cranked this down until I'm almost out of threads and only made a small improvement in operation.

I'm going to check something I noticed this evening, but I would still like some input on how far in this screw should have to be.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I ended up buying a stiffer spring for mine but you should be able to get enough out of the one it came with to get it lit. Are you sure it's allowing it to close the pucks all the way?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I checked for clearance when I got home because I thought maybe the threaded adapter was hitting the drain tube.

I suspect the o-ring is gone from between the comp cover and outlet elbow.

It looked seated BTW but I didn't have anything long and thin to pry with

Last edited:
When mine is cranked down it is holding the wastegate closed.
Backing it off allows it to open.

Stiffer spring. My guess is you've got the softer twin spring. I DD at 3.5 turns out from bottomed and using stiffer spring. Supports 800hp on the 71/13 turbine before it goes crazy. 5 turns out gets more primary boost earlier but takes a long time. I like driving behavior at 2 turns out but it can't support enough exhaust flow on anything over ~650hp

Last edited:
He's saying that it's not spooling, it'd have to be opening with virtually zero drive pressure. I'm still saying that either the pucks aren't closing tight or you're right about the outlet seal.

The drive pressure is what concerns me.

Anyone have dimensions on that O-ring so I can match one from work?

Oh I missed that. Yes a boost leak like that will f you.

Last edited:
I have bought 3 of the spring gates from Johnny for single applications and everyone came with the softer twin spring. Bought one twin piping kit with turbos and it came with the stiffer spring! You would think myself and Johnny would learn to verify that by now. Lol

Cant help you with the o-ring measurements. Sorry

Maybe I should shoot them an email to see if this is the case.

Sent from my Rotten Apple

OK, o-ring back where it belongs, I can actually boost now but I'm feathering the **** out of it to keep from blacking out the sun.
I'm going to check with them about the wire diameter of the spring.

Maybe the puck ports have a massive crack between them...preventing them from sealing.
Or, maybe the linkage arm fell off the gate lever, and it's just wedged against the housing, making you think your tightening it...but in fact, the pucks are hanging open all the time.

Anything is possible, but I had a strap on the gate for about 1000 miles, haze for smoke usually. I drive it to work, park it next to the building and clock in. 9 am break, I pull the cover and chra, remove the strap, install the spring gate.
11:30 lunch, I install all of what I took off, put enough spring tension on it to feel safe that the bolt won't back out. Notice the o-ring missing.
I drive it home with no o-ring. Smoke monster.
I adjust the spring gate to try and compensate, no dice. I put an o-ring in it this evening, left the gate adjusted for near shut operation. Smoke monster. Cruises at just under 1000 degrees. Was between 700-800. Lags like hell, hard to get on top of the turbo, OD lockup will pull it under the turbo.

Maybe I had the fuel tuned to the jagged edge of what this turbine wants and now that the gates can open, it's too much.

I will check things out tomorrow, but only one simple change was made.

0a72822b37fbe0800607d2f5fba1f246.jpg

You can see the buffed corner at the top right of the hex union. It was hitting the drain line.
I cut it down and reassembled. No more problem.

Is there any real way to tune one of these without a drive pressure gauge? I hit 46psi on a pretty decent 3rd gear pull. Still smokey but comparable to what it was before.

I would just tune for response, boost, and EGT's. All the way tight on my single 62/71/13 I couldn't get over 48psi on most days. With your 64 you could probably get into the low 50's. I don't think you can run that gate too tight on mild fueling. 50 should be safe all day on that turbo. What size turbine housing?

I would just tune for response, boost, and EGT's. All the way tight on my single 62/71/13 I couldn't get over 48psi on most days. With your 64 you could probably get into the low 50's. I don't think you can run that gate too tight on mild fueling. 50 should be safe all day on that turbo. What size turbine housing?

That's how I set mine up, I fiddled with it until I like the way it felt and then checked drive pressure to make sure nothing was wonky.

That's how I set mine up, I fiddled with it until I like the way it felt and then checked drive pressure to make sure nothing was wonky.

Drive pressure setup is in the works.

I'm just trying to weigh out tweaking this gate some more or defueling it.

Back