Stand alone CR Harness

ninerqb8

Getting ready to do a CR swap in my 2nd gen and I am looking for a stand alone harness for the engine. I am going to be using a 06-07 5.9 ecm and engine. Is there someone who builds stand alone harnesses for these? I know about the painless one, but it is for a 2005, can it be rewired to work for the 06-07 ECM? It does not need to run the A/C, alternator or any accessories I will do that with the 2nd gen harness.

LReiff is selling some on here.

I understand the '04-'05 harnesses can be re-worked, but I believe you have to have the SKIM disabled in the '06-up ECM to use it as a stand alone.
I've read that you need a TIPM wired in, but then I have read that you don't, reliable answers are hard to find.

I have a few 2006-2007 harnesses TIPMS and ECMS and I am also going to try to figure out how to make them standalone.

Once I figure out EFI Live. :hehe:

Mark.

Check with Firepunk Diesel. Also Brandon Miller(Joe Farmer) on this website.

Ok so I picked up a 07 manual trans harness and I have the 07 ECM and a 06 ECM to work with. Can anyone take this harness and make it a stand alone unit with a ODBII port or am I on my own for this one?

From what I can gather, speaking with various folks, the 2007 5.9 uses the same protocol on the APPS as the 6.7, while the '06 uses the '05 protocol, so you need to use the APPS/harness for the ECM you intend to use.
This is possibly the biggest reason why the TIPM/Headlight harness is different between 2006 and 2007.

I have been finding that it's hard to get useful information on building harnesses.
Some people don't like to share their insight where this type of stuff is concerned.
Hell, I'm having a hard time finding an actual CM849 wiring diagram and internet searches have little info.
Quickserve's wiring diagrams blow ass and they are based on the CM850 system, which shows all sorts of inane crap.

I'll end up doing it the hard way, by taking a dash, headlight/TIPM harness and an engine harness apart, then tracing the necessary wires to their points of origin/end.

Fortunately, I have multiples of each harness and ECMs to work with. :cool:

You'll need a very friendly dealer, or a good working relationship with an EFILive V2 after you get a standalone figured out.
I have neither. :banghead:

Mark.

Ok so I picked up a 07 manual trans harness and I have the 07 ECM and a 06 ECM to work with. Can anyone take this harness and make it a stand alone unit with a ODBII port or am I on my own for this one?
Yes, as long as the 2007 harness is 60/50 pin 5.9 harness.

No, you don't need anything but the harness and ECM to run the engine. You need efilive to remove the SKIM detection in the ECM and then you're free to run anything.

Doesnt the ZEUS controller from Destroked control the 06-07 5.9, plus the 6.7's?

Doesnt the ZEUS controller from Destroked control the 06-07 5.9, plus the 6.7's?
If you use the word 'control' loosely, yes it does. Each Zeus is specific to a factory 5.9 or 6.7 harness and wouldn't be able to run both.

I dont mean for the same product to run both, what i am meaning is that the Zeus can run a 5.9 OR a 6.7 (with different configurations obviously).

Yes, as long as the 2007 harness is 60/50 pin 5.9 harness.

No, you don't need anything but the harness and ECM to run the engine. You need efilive to remove the SKIM detection in the ECM and then you're free to run anything.

I can do the efi part of it, am i going to need more of the harness than just what plugs into the engine? Meaning can i eliminate the TIPM and build my own relays and fuse block.

Just C1 and C2 on the ECM. You need a +12v, gnd and 12v keyed ignition source for the ECM harness to eliminate the TIPM completely.

Beginning a daunting task.
First is to whittle the mess pictured down to a reasonable level.
At least I'll have some scrap copper wire for my efforts! :D

The harness pictured is from an '07 5.9.

More to come later. ;)

Mark.

Attachments

• 2007 Harness MESS1.jpg
    2007 Harness MESS1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
Just C1 and C2 on the ECM. You need a +12v, gnd and 12v keyed ignition source for the ECM harness to eliminate the TIPM completely.

Any chance you would be willing to share what wires are needed? I am assuming there will need to be a few other wires for the APPS, and the ODBII port?

Any chance you would be willing to share what wires are needed? I am assuming there will need to be a few other wires for the APPS, and the ODBII port?
Yes, you need the APPS and OBDII port added to it. I'd rather not share complete pinouts as I normally charge $400 labor to make any 2003-2007 5.9 standalone harness work with a 2006 ECM.

I will jump in and say that the 2005 harness powers up the same as a 2007, but some of the pinouts for the APPS and other sensors are different.

Once I have this first 2007 harness sorted out, I will publish the pinouts and I will also work on the early harness and publish those, as well.

Right now I am trying to get a 2006-2007 harness to get the ECM to communicate with EFI Live, from there the rest of it will more or less fall into place.

FYI, in the large bulkhead connector lie all of the "secrets" to the APPS and powering the ECM up.
The bottom row, with all of the wires pointing down, in the pic is all APPS wiring.
NOTE: Pictured is the BODY (female side) connector!

Mark.

Attachments

• 2007 Harness MESS2.jpg
    2007 Harness MESS2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
Success!
Pic 1 shows the ECM wired up and pic 2 shows a DTC list, which basically says that the ECM is communicating with the EFILive tool.

Now that I know I can power it up, it's time to continue with the rest of the whittling down of the harnesses.

I wish I had more time to devote to this exclusively. :(

Mark.

Attachments

• 2007 Harness MESS3.jpg
    2007 Harness MESS3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2007 Harness MESS4.jpg
    2007 Harness MESS4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1
Back