Starter Question

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
What else, if anything, does the starter for a 5.9 Cummins come on?

Mine is now garbage due to the wonderful design aspects and I don't have the cash for a new one, and the junk yards around here don't have many Cummins'.

Thanks.:redx:

Maybe take it to a starter/motor shop and get it rebuilt? Iirc I had one rebuilt for around a hundo, but that was years ago.

What year you need might have one you can have if your willing to pay shipping.

It's a 99. A buddy also ponted me toward a food shop to check outn

The gap between more and enough never changes.

I got one I'll take it to get checked this morning, if it checks out good its all yours if you want it.

Thank you 6 speed! Most appreciated!

The gap between more and enough never changes.

No problem. Just trying to help out, I'll know in a hour or so if its good. Let you know

Well I just got a call, the nose on the starter is cracked. But I might have another one I can go snag you. I'll let you know if I can get the other one. Sorry I didn't know it was till he pulled it apart and found it.

The terminal to the solenoid came loose and moved around enough to break the wire to the solenoid windings. I can see it, I just can't get to it.

Poor design followed by poorer remanufacture....I got this one form Car Quest back in 2009.

Poor design followed by poorer remanufacture....I got this one form Car Quest back in 2009.

I would have to agree on all points then. I bet that starter is on all sorts of applications. Delevery trucks, tractors, diesel pumps. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6.7 used the same starter.

Last edited:
Chit I should a thought of that, I'll tell him to put the one thing it needs on and I'll get it in the morning. I'll try and see if he can put a new nose on it, he owes me money for building his motor...

If nothing else our local napa store has a machine shop that rebuilds our big truck starters for less than $100. I doubt a 5.9 starter would cost near that. Just another option some don't realize is out there.

Starter will be done in the morning, I got him to put a good nose on it for you.

Back