Starting build on Blue

Jfurr

Beer Me
Ok fella's I just picked this truck up last week. It is a 94 2500 2wd rclb with 202,xxx. Putting together a build for it and looking for some input. Put up thread on cumminsforum but hardly any feed back. looking to use this truck for a dd for about a year after build until I buy a 24v to build. This truck I will also be using to tow my yellow commonrail with to events. Looking for HP range of 650 to 750. Would be content and happy with 700 give or take a few.

Truck
001_zpsa66f73ca.jpg

Build plan

Fuel
-Schied Benched 160 (500cc)
-Airdog 165
-.093 fuel lines

Rear end
-new 3.54 ring and pinion for dana 70 replacing factory 4.10
-trac bars

Air
-twins box s362/s480 batmos
-Stainless D 1 piece mani

Engine
-Full rebuild kit (CCP or pure diesel power)
-o ring head
-head decked and pistons shaven
-Injectors 5x.018
-fletcher cam
-Arp 425's
-Hamilton valve springs with billet retainers and locks
-Hamilton push tubes
-fluidampr (changing cam, why not)

Tranny
- full built Garmon diesel (47rh)

Few other things after performance mods as in fuel 20x9 wrapped in nitto 420s. Complementary engine mods also maybe like intake mani and others.

Looking for as much input as possible (good or bad). Anything to save me money or make this truck better for my goals.

Last edited:
I saw your post on CF and was going to recommend you coming over here, but I found this.

I'm still new and learning so perhaps others will chime in but there's a few things I see that aren't necessary, and you mentioned saving money.

- 093 injector lines
- pistons shaven
- rebuild kit.

203k is nothing so unless your getting excessive BlowBy I would save my time and money.

I didn't see you mention timing.

There's a lot of debate on twins sizing and once again I'm still learning but:

62/65/14 over 75/96/1.1 I think should get you there. But an S480 definatly will. And save your money, don't worry about batmo wheels.

I'm not sure if at that power level you'll need an Egate on the secondary to help control dp.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

Good looking truck!
In my thinking, I would step down to a 475 for your primary. I also wouldn't bother with your .093 lines either. I would think a 5x.016 that's built right could get you were you wanna be as well.

Also, what's your reasoning for shaving the pistons? What is your end compression goal? Less compression to a point will hurt spoolup, something to remember since you plan on towing with it.

Pretty sharp looking rig

I would think you should invest some time and cash to get the front end and steering up to par cause it more than likely needs some tlc there with the miles you mentioned.

I would look into a s363 instead of the 62 the .093 lines is a little overkill in my eyes. As Rick mentioned before why are you shaving the pistons?

Batmo wheels are not needed in my opinion. But there are a few turbo guys here who can steer you in the correct direction.

The stainless mani more for looks? I would go with steed speed.

Manual valve body

He also said he is using it to tow his cr. A 700hp 12v is going to need an upgraded cooling system right? They aren't like cr's that you can turn down and tow with.

He also said he is using it to tow his cr. A 700hp 12v is going to need an upgraded cooling system right? They aren't like cr's that you can turn down and tow with.

not if its built right.

its not like you are ever going to put a 700+ hp engine at 100% duty cycle while towing, its unneeded.

Just some suggestions....

No to the .093 lines
Don't shave the piston's you don't want to lower compression on a tow rig
5x14 or 5x16 max injectors.... no need to go huge with an already benched pump on a tow rig
I would suggest a smaller primary like a S472 or S475 on a tow rig
Check with Weston "Smokem" on valve train upgrade you will save money, and I don't think you need aftermarket push tubes.
Also I would thoroughly clean the coolant system and install quality antifreeze.... everything I've read on diesel forums says a 5.9's coolant system is severly taxed towing decent loads over 400-450HP. Just food for thought.

by the way...... :drool1: :drool1: :drool1: I'm a sucker for Intense Blue and that is a BEAUTIFUL rig!

I did 669rwhp on dunbars with a 215 pump that wasn't benched, stock lines, 5x13 injectors and a 60/65/16 over 75/96/1.32 setup FWIW.

Just some suggestions....

No to the .093 lines
Don't shave the piston's you don't want to lower compression on a tow rig
5x14 or 5x16 max injectors.... no need to go huge with an already benched pump on a tow rig
I would suggest a smaller primary like a S472 or S475 on a tow rig
Check with Weston "Smokem" on valve train upgrade you will save money, and I don't think you need aftermarket push tubes.
Also I would thoroughly clean the coolant system and install quality antifreeze.... everything I've read on diesel forums says a 5.9's coolant system is severly taxed towing decent loads over 400-450HP. Just food for thought.

by the way...... :drool1: :drool1: :drool1: I'm a sucker for Intense Blue and that is a BEAUTIFUL rig!

Exactly what a made a feeble attempt to say :hehe:

Thanks for all the input so far. And figured rebuild kit for piece of mind and check internals of engine. Seeing how its used truck and you never know true history. Deck head and shave pistons because it seems jeff garmon and other well known guys have done that and it had made engines much more reliable. If fuel lines are not needed then that saves money for me there. Turbo wise I was also looking into s362/71/12 over s480 or s475 race covers. Injector wise I was unsure. But if smaller injectors like 5x16s will work ill go that route. Front end had already been adressed before I purchased truck and it steers and drives like a dream. And thank you for the compliments guys. I am siked about it so far. Just want to build it right the first time. Tranny will be back this weekend from jeff garmon. So biggest expense has been addressed already. Oh and this truck will be tow rig and dd for around a year then after that it will be nice day, events, and sometimes dd. All input is welcome!

And I have changed a few things appearance wise ill post picture this weekend (tow mirrors down, 1 piece headlights, tail lights). I know with it beening 2wd traction will be none existent but planning on running 20's and nitto 420's in that department. Cooling wise I will flush everything and change fluids. Aftermarket intercooler needed?

I still personally wouldn't shave the pistons for what your gonna use it for.

Just trying to get it right first time to avoid failures in things that could have been avoided and were skipped.
Ok so new list of things

Fuel
-Schied Benched 160 (500cc)
-Airdog 165

Rear end
-new 3.54 ring and pinion for dana 70 replacing factory 4.10
-trac bars

Air
-twins box s362 (62/71/12) over s475 or s480
-Stainless D 1 piece mani or steed (like one piece manis)

Engine
-o ring head
-Injectors 5x.016
-Hamilon cam
-Arp 425's
-Hamilton valve springs with billet retainers and locks
-Hamilton push tubes (If needed)
-fluidampr (changing cam, why not)

Tranny
- full built Garmon diesel (47rh)

Looking better guys? And I like the s475 idea but just was not sure if it would have gotten me to my goals. What is difference on the push tubes in these 12v's and cr's? I know in cr's I have seen them bend and everything else stock or with just a programmer. Thank you for all the input so far fellas

If you're worried about the push rods you might as well replace them, its pretty cheap compared to everything else and is probably worth the piece of mind.

I'm curious about the bending in CR's, though. I haven't ever heard that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

The 62/65/14 is better for daily driving and towing, the 71mm turbine isn't needed. The S480 isn't needed for your goals, an S472 or S475 with a 1.1 and 92mm turbine should be plenty. I'd only go with the S480 if you plan on increasing your power goals a lot in the future.

And I have changed a few things appearance wise ill post picture this weekend (tow mirrors down, 1 piece headlights, tail lights). I know with it beening 2wd traction will be none existent but planning on running 20's and nitto 420's in that department. Cooling wise I will flush everything and change fluids. Aftermarket intercooler needed?

Are the load ratings on the 420's high enough to be pulling around a 7000 lb truck? i didnt think they were that high?

Yea just looked at the 420 specs. Guess I am going to have to find a better street tire that is still going to be soft enough to hook somewhat and strong enough to tow with.

For 700hp, the large turbine S400 is overkill by a good amount, smaller turbine with a 75mm compressor would be wise. A 68mm turbine in a 0.80AR(14cm) would be a better fit for secondary sizing, and I would agree to not drop compression and stay around 700hp.

Last edited:
Back