Starting issue......

Samaras Diesel

Billet steel
So today was one of the coldest days weve had this year at a mild 0 degree's... I got a little bit of fuel last night ($25worth) and i added some fuel treatment to be safe becaues its geting cold this time of year... Howee's fuel treatment is what i used. It says add 2oz for every 25gal so i got about 3.9 gal of fuel so i put about 8oz in the tank as i was adding fuel so it gets mixed up real good. And to supplement what fuel was already in the tank (apriximently 10-11 gallons) my truck started fine today, fuel pressure was normal, guage did its thing and egts did their thing on warm up. I take off down the road and it feels slugish right off the bat.. I give it 2 more miles and the fp guages drops from 21 psi to below 10psi..... I can tap on the can of the motor with a hammer and it will jump up to 17-18 psi but not to my full 21psi what gives?

Not only is it cold out, it's extemely cold out. I doubt my truck will even start where it's -10° here.

Zero degrees and below its hard to keep them from gelling up even with treatment.
I had a duramax with winter fuel in NY, anything below 10 degrees no matter how much treatment in the truck it would always start and run but had no power and would gell up.

It is cold man enough said. Crazy things happen when it is this cold. Batteries freeze, fuel gels uncontrollably, PCMs and other computers say f it, etc... part of the fun of owning a diesel in the cold. A lot of guys run a pretty heavy dose of kerosene around here when it gets THIS darn cold. Treatment often times doesn't work. My air dog is holding 50 psi with just howes but I put half a darn bottle of the stuff in with half a tank of fuel so I treated mine pretty heavy. New filters, diesel 911, and some patience is all you can do at this point. Otherwise park it until the end of the week when it is warmer out.

Any water trapped in the water fuel separator will be frozen and causing restriction. You can always bring the filter in overnight and let it dry out.

I had mine treated very well and still had trouble, mine ended up being gelled in the tank I guess, took a weed burner and warmed the tank before I could keep it running. MFA told me to put 1% gas in it, the guy running that place had the same trouble and it took some gas to straighten it out. His fuel was also treated.

My fuel pressure has been acting strange as well, but it's been doing it for several weeks now. The bad thing is that it's not that cold here, 25-45 degrees depending on the cold front.

I don't know what the deal is. I bumped the starter and the pressure goes up to 14.5, right where it usually is, but crank the truck after it stops priming and it went to 10psi. Im guessing my ECM is going bad or it's just the cold weather. Kind of aggervating.

After i pulled out of the drive way imine shot up to my preset 21psi and did fine today...

My fuel pressure has been acting strange as well, but it's been doing it for several weeks now. The bad thing is that it's not that cold here, 25-45 degrees depending on the cold front.

I don't know what the deal is. I bumped the starter and the pressure goes up to 14.5, right where it usually is, but crank the truck after it stops priming and it went to 10psi. Im guessing my ECM is going bad or it's just the cold weather. Kind of aggervating.

If your ECM was going out, you lift pump circuit wouldn't turn on. How old are your fuel filters?

Back