Starting Issue

stroke of luck

That's what she said...
Well I'm having some kind of a cold start issue and I'm looking for some advice. The truck usually sits about 15-17 hours between cold starts and it's only getting down into the upper 30's and 40's here overnight. I've noticed on the first cold start, the engine stumbles all over itself and struggles to get past 400-500 rpm. This goes on for about 10 seconds and then it kicks over and runs smoothly. The starter seems strong and my bats are both pulling 12.6 volts....is that enough or could that be an issue?? I scanned and not getting any codes. The best way i can explain it is when i turn the key, the engine kind of just "rolls" into a shakey rough start vs. the quick hard start like it should be. Some of the hot starts after that are still kind of shakey but seem much stronger. I'll take a video tomorrow on the first start and post it up here as well.

I'm sure I'll get some FICM suggestions....but i have no clue what that is haha??

:Cheer:
thanks for the help as always....

The batteries are tied together in parallel. To test them, you need to disconnet them from each other. What oil is in the truck?

I actually have the same thing in cold climates... even as warm as 30 or 40. I also have an issue all the time now though... it takes two separate turns of the key to get the truck started. The 1st turn is crank no start and the 2nd cranks for a about 6 secs. then starts. Which is about 3 secs more then "normal". Any ideas.... that is cold or not....

Anybody get any feedback on this issue? I have a buddies truck doing the same thing. Pulled codes and performed glow plug test with AE and got no issues.

got a buddies truck going to the dealer for this, will let you know what they find

What years are these trucks? There are a couple of issues that come to mind. This time of year my shop looks like a ford dealer due to all the 6.0's having starting issues.

This truck is an 05 as well. Just had a bunch of work done at dealership within past 6 months (1 new injector, HPOP, and some other stuff).

Any of these trucks tuned, or running stock program? Out of the 8 or so tunes that i have for my SCT, maybe 2 of them start half way decent as stock, when the weather cools off. I have one Looney file does something similar, Rolls coal, stumbles, sounds like a loaded up gasser. Then smooths out after a little bit, huffs serious blue smoke, even had it stall when i put it in gear. 2 other of my better tunes, when cold started make the truck sound like the heads are going to come through the hood. Just something i've noticed playing with my various files.

Back