Starting/knocking

Hillshire

Just recently my truck has been having a few problems.
First-occasionally ill try to start it up and the truck will go up to 600rpms fall back down to 400 waver back up to 600 then die. I will turn the key off and try again and same results. If I put it in nuetral and try and start it it will fire right up and have no issues.
Second-Ever since this has been happening when I am coming to a stop I hear a slight knocking, seems to be on the left side?

As of right now the truck is stock aside from 6637 filter & straight pipe. The knocking kinda sounds like it may be coming from air filter, but I could be wrong. My chip is in for a reburn so there's no chip on it.
I put an old Hypertech power programmer 3 on it but I don't think it did anything because before when I had it on there it would black smoke a small bit but I took it off to put my chip on. I put the programmer back on while my chip is in for a reburn but I don't thinks it's working. It won't even turn on now when I try to plug it.
Any thoughts or advice appreciated

Did the problem start after you put the programmer back in it or was it when the chip was still in it? Do you have a cel? If it started when you went back to the programmer, I'd start with Hypertech. I had an edge programmer leave me stranded when it froze between programs.

Does it only "knock" at idle? Sounds like a TC knock

Back