starting on my 97 4x4 suspention lift. need advice or pointers

jaybuller

USCG MK
Im looking to get anywhere from 3 to 6 inches of lift. to start out the truck is stock other than a 2" level spacer up front. I have a set of Roughcountry 5" lift control arms. but no other peices as of yet. I do plan on getting an adjustible track bar and a drop pitman arm. Heres my plan. Use the new control arms,track bar and drop pitman arm and place some air bags on it where the top control arm flat spot is and welding up a bracket for the frame for the top mount. that way i can adjust it with air bags from the 2" level hieght up to 4 or 5 inches more with the bags. Any one done this before? or see any problems with doing it this way? any input would be helpfull.

call up Thuren suspension. He can set you up with everything you need.

In my experience in bagged/bodydropped trucks and cars, few things come to mind....

Im not sure how it would work if you are thinking to keep the coils and spacer in but inflating truck up to 5" (will coil stay in upper spacer and lower coil bucket?)

1. Shock length (collapsed and extended) will need to be addressed

2. Im not sure how far forward your axle will get pushed with 5" arms when you have it deflated to the 2" height...

3. Tire clearances as well obviously when deflated. (35's would look ok at 2" and 5")

4. The trackbar should probably be adjusted around the 3.5" (or airbag half full) mark so that when deflated it will shift the axle a little to the passenger side and inflated axle will shift to driver side (kind of a mid point)

Just a few things to think about... Ive never done a airbag setup on a lifted truck

thank you guys...shocks...duough.. didnt even ross my mind. i know i can use a jack under the frame rail and lift the truck up 6 to 7 inches higher with out the coil spring becomeing loose at all. so i figure it'l work. so add that to the list.. a long travel shock set up. still cant find an adjustible track bar that will go from 2" to 5" most i have found are 0" to 3"lift or 5" to 10" lift. need to find one in the middle still.

Back