Stays in 1st?

WhiteKnight

So I drove to class today in my truck and everything was fine, and it shifted completely normal. I just left school a minute ago and when i pulled out onto the road my truck just stayed in first gear. wouldn't go into lock-up either even with the lock-up switch on(Valve body does have 1st gear lockup). Even going 20mph it stayed in first. Have had recent problems with the truck going into limp mode and starting out in third. When that happens i can just shut the truck off and when I fire it back up, it's fine and shifts normally... any guesses? The truck is the one in my sig.

Outputshaft speed sensor is bad. It is on the tail housing of the tranny, white plastic sensor. They are a common failure so most stealerships stock them.

connection was bad on the outputshaft speed sensor. a little wiggle did the trick. thanks blackandstacked.

yeah I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It took me forever to figure it out. but i wasnt on compD yet. Do you just have a toggle switch for your lockup switch? If so, you can put a 33 ohm resistor between the switch and the ground and that should take care of your limp mode problem.

yeah I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It took me forever to figure it out. but i wasnt on compD yet. Do you just have a toggle switch for your lockup switch? If so, you can put a 33 ohm resistor between the switch and the ground and that should take care of your limp mode problem.

yeah i just got a regular toggle. ill have to give that a try

yeah put a 33 ohm 1/2 watt resistor between ground and switch, i had same problem, fixed it right up

Ok so i went to the parts store and got a new tranny output speed sensor and put it in and cleared the codes. went out driving and everything was fine for a little while. then i went to slow down to take a corner and once it shifted down to first it stayed in first again... it just starts doing it randomnly. sometimes it will be fine for a couple hours. other times it will happen 30 seconds after starting to drive it. My smarty reads a code of: P1693 (DTC Cleared in Companion JTEC Module) Any ideas on what could be causing this still?

ok so i drove my truck all day with no problems. im begining to think that the lock up switch may be the reason behind it. does anyone think that the lack of the resistor would be resposible?

The contacts in the plug on your speed sensor can and will become loose. I do know that Dodge has a replacement plug, but don't know the part number. Mine was doing the same as yours and all I did was pull the wires on the plug towards the back of the truck and twist them so it would stay there and have had no issues for a long time.

what else would cause this issue. my buddies truck does the same thing. he can turn the truck off and start it back up and she will shift fine. any ideas???

Back