Steed Speed Wastegate Portion and Power Loss???

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
http://hardwayperformance.com/racing/knowledge-is-power-steed-manifolds-gated-vs-non-gated/

My gate port is exactly as the one in this link, undivided to the top of the gate flange. I am not in the market for the addition of an external gate so I'd like to either: 1) traded for a 12v straight flange steed manifold non-gated; or 2) weld a divider piece in to completely divide the manifold. Anyone with a straight flange steed manifold in the market for a gated one hit me up. Also looking for opinions on welding a divider in to completely divide the manifold. Thanks.

I've seen that too. I'm sure when you're playing with pretty big twins, you aren't going to want an internal wastegate, and that's just the trade off. I am kind of curious to see if they'll come out with a 'super-comp' version that has a port for each side so you can run two wastegates to keep it divided.

I say either weld it up, or make a vband bracket that divides it.

I think someone could machine a plug that would block off the dividers and sell them. It would be easy to make on a cnc

I think someone could machine a plug that would block off the dividers and sell them. It would be easy to make on a cnc

That's what I was saying.

I call dibs on the patent ;-)
Capture_zpse38075e5.png

I've seen that too. I'm sure when you're playing with pretty big twins, you aren't going to want an internal wastegate, and that's just the trade off. I am kind of curious to see if they'll come out with a 'super-comp' version that has a port for each side so you can run two wastegates to keep it divided.

I say either weld it up, or make a vband bracket that divides it.

To my knowledge Steed has already done this and since discontinued that option.

They have a piece now that you can press fit in that fixes the issue, i have a box of them already.

Any update on this? Heard some of the dividers were melting. I'm running a gated mani with a jgs 40 mm gate and a s467. My concern is spooling driving is fine but trying to brake boost to build pressure to launch is a pain. Running the 40 mm gate also required a adapter since the flanges are diff sizes. So that also adds to the height above the divider. Tempted to ditch the gate setup all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to sell my gated manifold and pickup a non-gated manifold. As stated before when I welded the divider to the gate cap I noticed some part throttle improvement. Since the divider is not perfect and there are gaps between it and the steed gate port it is not a 100% division between the exhaust banks. Since I've swapped to the non-gated manifold I have noticed further part throttle improvement, approximately 50* lower EGTs cruising, and increased secondary response. I have not done much wot testing given next week is my fish-cation where I will be on the beach every day surf fishing and don't want to break anything. I will update when I get around to some wot runs and eventually a re-visit to the track.

BTW, I received the steed divider. The issue with that divider is it is targeted to a manifold like the one in the article and not nearly tall enough for my straight flange manifold. I'm assuming the gate port is substantially taller in the straight manifold vs. the angled but it is hard to say for certain. There are constant changes it would appear. For instance, the non-gated version is 1/2" shorter than my previous gated version which resulted in the need for a divided spacer.

Edit: thought I had presented measurements. The distance from top of gate port to the undivided portion in my gated manifold is 1.290", much greater than the distance presented in the linked article.

Last edited:
Interesting. Wouldn't have thought there was so many variances between the different designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toss it into render mode and it does that. That's on the lowest quality too. You can add texture and junk if you've got a presentation coming up.

Emailed Leen and he's says they send out the divider extend at the cost of shipping that's it. If I don't like the divider I'll be in the same boat as NickTF and just going with a non-gated straight manifold.

Back