Steering gear box

TX_5.9

Will a newer, larger gear box from an 09 or newer Ram fit an 03 without modifications? Looking to replace my box from my 03 as it's slap wore out. I already have the upgraded linkage junk.....is this mod worthwhile?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I did it and am very happy , just bolted right up and still have factory p/s pump

That's good to hear. Guess I know what my next project is.

IIRC the pitman is larger with the new box to accommodate the diameter of the sector shaft.

The pitman arm is larger, need a new one to fit the HD box

Some have reported that a fan shroud notch is needed

The PN I have for the new HD box is : 68170214AA

Pardon my ignorance, what's the advantage of using the newer steering gear box?

It has larger internals to help compensate for the weight on the front end........not likely to wear out as fast as the older, smaller boxes. At least that's what I've gathered about it.

Yeah....Mopar price is absolutely rediculous. Been pricing Borgeson and RedHead boxes and they're much less.

I had a red head on my 12v and my 05 both had problems. this newer box has been great, bought it for around 500$ online and it comes with a pitman arm

The Redhead is just a stock box that has been reworked

The Redhead box is still $400

The Mopar HD box has larger and better everything and is worth $550

Where the heck did you get it for $550???

wish you guys hadn't said that about the redhead boxes, I just installed one on my truck :hehe: how many miles on those boxes before you started seeing issues?

wish you guys hadn't said that about the redhead boxes, I just installed one on my truck :hehe: how many miles on those boxes before you started seeing issues?

Pfft first 2 I received were not right 1 leaked the other was stiff out of the box the third stopped turning right after around 4k mile.

The other two 1 worked fine the other leaked as well.

Back