Steering Shaft

BW Motosports

JUST SOME BROKE KID
Just saw a Borgeson steering shaft on XDP. Is it worth the money and are any of you using an after market steering shaft ? It is selling on XDP for $214usd. I have had the unwanted ratcheting in my wheel but have been able to fix it with grease a few times. Would this new shaft truly be a permanent solution as they claim ? Thanks everyone

what is this ratcheting that you speak of? im just curious becuase on my truck it kinda feels like something is little loose when i hit bumps but i cant for the life of me figure out what it is. its especially bad when im downshifting and the clutch is chattering. everything is tight in the front, and i replaced my steering shaft a while ago with some cheap one, but i can take my steering wheel and push it down and pull it up. dont know how these two could be connected but thought maybe you would have some input. btw, like the signature

A buddy of mine has added a grease fitting to a few different guys steering shafts on these trucks with good result. Much easier than pulling the shaft to re pack all the time and much cheaper than a high dollar steering shaft. Im planning on doing this to my 06 sooner or later as it has the typical steering shaft rattle. Ill get some more details about where to put the fitting etc. next time i see my buddy or one of the trucks he's done it to.

that would be awesome if you could do that. so im guessing i missed the part where you are supposed to grease them when you put them in?

that ratcheting is the knuckle in the steering shaft binding, I have greased mine before but its a pain. If any info is brought up about the grease fitting I would greatly appreciate it. and if you can move your wheel in and out something is loose in the front end. A lot of gm's have this problem, even cars.

no i meant my steering wheel. everything in the front is new and ive checked it over many times since ive rebuilt it and i cant find anything loose. so your saying that you can take the i-shaft out and pull it apart and pack it full of grease?

I have never done that, i have greased the exposed knuckle in the engine bay. the one that has the rubber boot over it.

I have the borgeson shaft... It made my rattle go from only when turned to only when straight.

I pulled it and installed the stocker back, before I installed it, I took a die grinder and cleaned the swaged splines off, so the shaft could be slipped apart with out damaging the teflon splines. Cleaned all the grease off both the male and female splines.

I purchased a new plastic upper steering slip shaft carrier bearing from the dealer, its the one in the bottom of the steering column by your knees. The end of the steering slip shaft that goes into the cab slips into this cheesy plastic ball bearing.

The bearing will pull out by hand and install by hand. Take a 2" IIRC hose clamp and wrap it around the steel portion of the steering column where the cheesy bearing rides. Wait to tighten it until you put the shaft back in.

The old bearing version was white and the new updated version is green.

Install high temp silicone on both sets of grease free splines on the steering shaft and re-assemble. Install the shaft back in the truck and reconnect the ends before the rtv sets up, don't worry it takes a couple hours to cure...

Now tighten that clamp around the base of the steering column (the metal portion where new green plastic bearing is riding). The clamp keeps the column tight around the green bearing and the green bearing stays tighter around the cab end of the steering slip shaft.

The rtv won't pound out of the splines like the grease does and still moves and flexes the minimal amount you need for frame flex.

Anywho, long winded but it fixed my rattle.

Back