Stock auto

Duramax3000

I'm looking at buying a 96-98 12v 4x4 auto when my duramax sells. I plan to mod it later on and build the tranny but that may be some time before I'm able to do so. I'm just wondering on average with regular fluid and filter change no towing and stock engine about how long will these trannys last? I know it will depend on how it was cared for before I buy it but if the fuild looks good and it shifts good just a estimate is all I'm looking for. I don't wanna buy one then have to rebuild it back stock if it goes out before I can afford build it up right. I'm looking at trucks in the 160k mile range.

well in my case .. i had a 100plate ff and it was ok for about 1000 miles than i crank the starwheel ff .. the lowend fueling increases the torque and it slipps bad now .with 3000 miles since moddified its on its last leg with built trans on the way $$$$ so really if ya cant afford to fix it i would say dont take ure chances ... things like a governer spring kit and a timming bump would be ok tho..

a decent TC and valvebody or shift kit will get you by for a while on the free mods if the clutches/bands are good

This makes me feel better, yeah I never tow and I won't touch the motor untill that tranny is built. I could prolly swing doin the converter and shift kit about what all would this hold?

A good billet single disc can be had for a few hundred, shift kit is another ?100?

Should help hold 400+hp, as long as you aren't doing boosted launches and locked shifts or anything.

Thanks alot guys this gives me more piece of mind. I think if I put a converter and shift kit I will be good for a long time then, I don't plan on no more than free mods and just babying the truck untill the trans is built. But there will be no mods untill atleast the converter and shift kit.

yeah, and you should definitely do at least a governor spring kit 4k or 5k so you'll have more useable rpm, your auto won't fall on it's face at higher rpm either.

I second the shift kit, even on a stocker, it will extend your life... cheap insurance

My truck has 195,XXX with a stock auto/stock power, and has been towing trailers up mountains all its life.

Back