stock charger vs cheetah

Duramax03

Thinking about installing a fleece 63 cheetah charger. Anyone running one on a stock trans?

Your stock charger has enough potential to wreck a stock trans. I'd suggest some trans upgrades before adding more power.

What upgrades would u suggest? I'm new to the dodge side of things and know nothing about these 68s except if I want big power to swap for a 48

What are you eventual plans for the truck? Mild street nonsense or going for a bit more than average?

Daily driver/playin around on the street. Was gonna do more but my dmax took a dive on me and I'm lookin at engine build. Just don't want to do too much too fast and b stranded without a vehicle

Put some money into the trans and it should be just fine. As far as what to do or where to take it, i'm not sure who all works on 68s. Not sure if Lavon does those or not.

I was at firepunk middle of the week and he told me they r a glorified can transmission and to do a 48 swap if I want real power lol

But thanks for the advice I'll look into some tranny upgrades. Was just hoping that with conservative tuning I could swap turbos and last awhile

With trans tuning, and reasonable engine tuning a stock 4th gen 68 can last for a few months (longest I've seen has been about 1.5 years at 550whp with a stock internalled trans) his overdrives are slipping now. With a converter, and valve body it'd last a bit longer. Mine is almost a year in the 550-570whp range, and daily driven that way.

When it comes to an auto truck, I've always recommended putting money into the transmission first. Build it to handle more than the power and abuse you plan on throwing at it. Then you can focus on increasing power.

There are many variations of "build", so depending on how much power you want it to hold will depend on how many thousands the cost increases.

The upper eschelon of builds seem to be in the 8-10k area from what I've seen

Eventually I plan to push anywhere from 750-900. But not anytime soon just do alil over time. I know transmission needs to b my first stop though

Back