Stock trans cooler pictures

skav

Does anybody have pictures on the stock trans cooler? I'm looking for pictures of the stock location.

Thanks
Sean

It's on the drivers side of the intercooler. In the space next to the a/c condenser.

It's on the drivers side of the intercooler. In the space next to the a/c condenser.

Thanks kleann. That's where mine is, but it's not stock, and seems small. That's why I was looking for pictures.

Here you go, this one is factory.

Attachments

• pics 176.jpg
    pics 176.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
How far does it go below the bumper? Mine stops right at the bumper.

Also, are both inlet and outlet at the bottom? I see the vertical tub running along the drivers side, so I imagine that's the outlet.

It's the same height as the intercooler, yes both ports are at the bottom.

It's the same height as the intercooler, yes both ports are at the bottom.

Wow! That's about double the size of my cooler. Here's a picture of mine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372643101.566540.jpg

I'll need to call dodge in the morning about getting a stock cooler. Any idea if there is a heavy duty replacement available?

There are many options for better cooling. However I'm not sure if there is a drop in heavy duty replacement and if you buy a stock one you're gonna have to redo those lines quite a bit.

There are many options for better cooling. However I'm not sure if there is a drop in heavy duty replacement and if you buy a stock one you're gonna have to redo those lines quite a bit.

Yeah, I figured that I'd need to redo the lines. I'll look around for larger coolers that will work with the AN fittings.

Thanks for the picture and info;)

seeign that the PO gave you some nice lines.. and NPT to -6 or -8 fittings..
i would think this would go in there nicely plumbing wise. i have seen B&M rate these about 30,000lb by themselves..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274/overview/

I checked those out. They look to be the same as the Canton racing units.

I just ordered a Setrab cooler this morning. I've used them on my ford before, and they are pretty high quality.

Setrab Engine Oil Coolers | susa

Here are the specs on the cooler I ordered. I'll post up after I install it.
PN: 50-925-761215.94x7.60x1.5, 42,000-60,000BTU

I got a bit more seat time today. The trans temp is definitely an issue w the small main cooler. I was seeing temps of 180-195 on the gauge in the drive through. I checked the outlet/inlet w an ir temp gun. The outlet was 205 and the inlet was 188. The fan on the second cooler mounted on the frame rail wasn't working. Turns out the connector pulled out. I'll run the fan tomorrow to see how much of a difference it makes.

One more quick question...

I believe the stock routing goes from the trans outlet, to the heat exchanger, then to the main cooler in front of the intercooler, then back to the trans inlet. Is this correct?

IF its a 2 cooler system there is one in the end tank of the radiator.. which would be your primary cooler and your air to oil is your secondary cooler..
normall routing is with two coolers

tranny to primary(radiator, its usually on the cold side end tank or outlet to water pump) to seconday to tranny..

sound like PO had cooling issues and tried to patch work fix it?

ideal tranny temp should be less than 175-180 at the hotest point.. stop n go would natually be higher..

IF its a 2 cooler system there is one in the end tank of the radiator.. which would be your primary cooler and your air to oil is your secondary cooler..
normall routing is with two coolers

tranny to primary(radiator, its usually on the cold side end tank or outlet to water pump) to seconday to tranny..

sound like PO had cooling issues and tried to patch work fix it?

ideal tranny temp should be less than 175-180 at the hotest point.. stop n go would natually be higher..

So I've been seeing around 160-180 cruising at 70-80 with the high temps lately. I hope the new air to oil cooler knocks 15-20* off of that. It's about twice the size and 1" thicker. I'll post up after the install this Monday.

Ok, I just installed the new cooler last night. It was not an exact drop in. It's thicker than the stock cooler, so I had to mount it as close to the intercooler as possible, then I had to trim the inside of the girl to clear it when closed. Overall it will work way better, but it was a headache to get in.

Something else I found was that the old cooler was fed from the top instead of the bottom. I corrected this, and imagine it will help cool better too.

Here are a couple pictures of the install. I'll post temp improvement results after testing for the next couple days.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373476708.613115.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373476732.291607.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373476749.725225.jpg

when mounting coolers sideways i always put hot in at the top..to go with natural circulation heat rises cold sinks

when mounting coolers sideways i always put hot in at the top..to go with natural circulation heat rises cold sinks

I've plumbed them that way before, but this isn't a tube cooler, it's a stacked plate cooler. Plumbing a plate cooler that way will just dump down the side tank from the top port to the bottom port.

I wanted to fill from the bottom to the top to fill the entire core.

On a side note, I couldn't take it on my trip today, because the griffin radiator I bought last July is leaking!!! I didn't notice before, but the core is epoxied to the tanks, and the epoxy cracked. What a bummer!

Last edited:
I just replaced the radiator this morning and had a chance to actually drive it today. Air temp 90-95 today.

I pulled my boat the the shop. While I was there, I let the truck idle for about 30 minutes with the AC cranked. When I got back in, the trans temp was up around 180-185 and the ect was 190.

I went to the drive through, grabbed lunch, then hopped on the freeway. The trans cooled to 140 within 10 minutes. When I got back onto surface streets and stop n go traffic, the trans went to 150. I still have the third cooler plumbed in w a fan as backup if needed. I'm pretty happy now. Before this cooler, the trans would run around 165-175 on the freeway, and climb to 195 in stop n go traffic.

Back