Strange Throttle Problem

01cummins

I have a 01 Dodge and I have been having a problem for at least a couple months, I have a Holley Blue pushing like 14 psi idling and it maybe goes down t 7 psi here and there. Its all basically stock except the exhaust and Edge Attitude with Juice. I usually drive it in 1:3 but the problem seems to be worse when the chip is up. It drives fine except for the unlocking and locking of the torque converter here and there but I know how to fix that, but when I like get on it, I have it at like 70% throttle and the rpms are still then it revs ups and kicks in. Its not lag because I know the difference. I had the injector pump replaced last year, replaced the cam sensor, MAP sensor, and the TPS sensor in the past within 2 years. There arent any codes under engine and ABS using a snap on solus scanner but I didnt check the body. The only code I have had lately is 734? for the torque converter circuit since I have a switch on it. If anyone has any ideas what they may think it is, that would be great, if not, I'm gonna have Justin check it out in 2 weeks.

But if thats it, what could of cause it cause it does it when I have the converter locked. Like I was gonna mess with this Chevy, took off normal with chip up, shifted into second, converter starting acting up, locked it then got on it and I had it at 70% throttle and after a second, it like kicked it and out then back in and then was fine, TPS stays the same and RPMs got up when it kicks in.

Converter can still slip and let loose even though its locked.

Well it was rebuilt like 2 years ago, it just started one day and its been a couple months maybe, I'm not hard on it, never really have towed anything with it, just my daily driver

If you have the TC locked in OD, then lay into the throttle, do the RPM's jump up for a second, then drop a little and then the truck starts to accelerate more? And thats staying locked in OD...

It doesn't do that, the RPMs just stay the same then raise up real quick

I'm just wondering why it does that when I give it a lot of throttle which isn't that often

more throttle= more power... it isn't uncommon for the stock torque converter to slip with a chip...

Well its been rebuilt like 2 years ago and I've had the edge for like a year on the truck, I'm just wondering why it just started messing up not the long ago

But im also wondering why the throttle doesnt seem to respond at first then it kicks it, i think if it was the turque converter, the rpms would raise up then engage

i think you're describing the problem wrong... take a video of the dash when it does it..

That's what I'm afraid of, but I will have justin check it out the weekend of the 4th and see what he thinks

well I never figured out the problem with the truck but starting this morning, its had a hard start, take maybe 4 seconds of cranking over for it to start, I've just been driving it to work and home just incase it breaks down, didnt do this when the pump went out last year, any ideas?

its your clutch pack. 3rd through overdrive are gone. mine did the exact same thing your talking about. your converter is junked and so is your clutch pack. sorry to hear that but it happens to all of us at one point. welcome to the dodge club.

Back