street single? how big?

AlmostBroke94

I appologize if this has got asked a thousand times, ive done alot of searchin and reading and ive atleast got everything planned out of how im gonna build my truck with what, my goal is to hit 700 on #2 only w/ a single charger. The only 2 things i dont know much about that im trying to figure out are what size charger and how much timing to go with, mainly what size and brannd of charger? this is the list im working off of:

Haisley HD Billet Pushrods
Hamilton HD Valve Springs w/billet retainers and keepers
O-ring head
Custom Ground Cam
Port & Polished head
Timing??
Fluidampr HB

Air Dog II
SDX Delivery Valves
SDX 5x18 Injectors
No Fuel Plate
Columbus 5k GSK
alot of pump tuning
bench pump
Rack Plug

Spearco Intercooler
AFE Intake Elbow
AFE Intake Tube
Custom Single ???
Exhaust Manifold

the list is alot bigger i just didnt wanna post stuff that wouldt contribute to making the power, even though there could be things in this small portion of the list i do and oor dont need. My truck is a 94 - 4x4 - sclb - nv4500 - 3.54's and will be mainly used as some what of a DD, street toy, and may see some track time here and there if i can get it tuned good.

Last edited:
The first question I ask is what altitude are you at? The altitude will play a role on how large of a single you can run, but still be streetable. Most of the airflow mods that you listed aren't needed, but at altitude, they may help. A 64/71/14 can do it and still allow the truck to be a daily driver.

I ran a BD Super B Special(64/71/14), stock cam AFE Stage II, stock intercooler, stock intake manifold, heater grid delete(added 15rwhp/100*egt drop), and a slightly ported stock exhaust manifold. I spent a lot of time on my dyno playing with different parts and setups making a high of around 710hp.

The sweet spot with my 215 pump is 25*. I've run it as high as 30*, but spool up and bottom end power were sacraficed. I haven't had a chance to play with a 160/175 pump on a dyno to see what kind of timing they like, but I will be very soon. I've heard that they usually run best in the high 20's to low 30's.

Brett

I like that build, except for the AFE stuff. I'd just recommend keeping it stock. That 5k I don't think would be too pleasant on the street as a DD. I'd say you could even keep stock IC and ex manifold.

Like brett said, a 64 could do it, but I'd rather have a 66 to make it a bit easier.

a 64 could do it, but I'd rather have a 66 to make it a bit easier.

Brad Ponci filled me in about a 64 working better than a 66 on his old drag truck, his advice pushed me in the direction of buying one when I was turbo shopping.

I've had the chance to run a Pro Street 66/71/14, and the Super B Special spools better, has cooler intake and exhaust temps, and makes more power. I'm not sure if the flow of a stock intercooler and head are causing the temp issues, but I know the warmer intake temps didn't help the power.

I would expect the 64 to spool better. I was thinking more flow overall from the 66. But you're right, I do remember Brad saying something along the lines of a 64 being better.

mad mike and brett, thanks for the replys they help me alot. The altitude im at right now i believe is 4850ft or so. I should have all my parts late may or early june so i can put everything together at once

And as far as timing and the turbo go, would it be useless to bump my timing up on it now? maybe do 18* then after i install all my parts, advance it more if needed? And im trying to learn as much as i can about turbos so if i went with a 66, what kinds of chargers/models could be catagorized in that part of being a 66? (i apologize if that made no sense)

*on a side note, i see your from martinez california, thats where im from. By chance do you know Lance Clontz or of California Street Machine?

Assuming the pump is a 160HP pump, a 64mm charger or Super B equivalent would be ideal. $.02 Stick truck especially.

yes sir it is a 160 pump.

A 160 pump and 700HP will be very hard to accomplish, especially at high altitude. Set you goals and budget a little lower, and things will become a reality alot sooner!

Not that I know anything...$.02

it depends on what you think is streetable too. i like my new s472 on the street it takes a little more to get it going than my old s364 but moves a ton of air. just tighten the afc to compensate. i have tried timing from 20-32 and i found a sweet spot at 28 on my setup. i run a .90 ar exhaust housing on mine. but a s364 is more practical for street use but i have a loose definition of streetability though.

Timing at 18 would be a nice bump over stock timing. Most people seem to have the best results between 21-24 (if you have studs, or at least tightened bolts). Won't lose too much low end, but will gain some up top.

But a 160 pump might be different, I don't know much all the differences between pumps.

it depends on what you think is streetable too. i like my new s472 on the street it takes a little more to get it going than my old s364 but moves a ton of air. just tighten the afc to compensate. i have tried timing from 20-32 and i found a sweet spot at 28 on my setup. i run a .90 ar exhaust housing on mine. but a s364 is more practical for street use but i have a loose definition of streetability though.

Thats true. Having a turbo that spools slow is kind of like not having a turbo at all on the street, right? Thats what ford and gm did back in the day, and those diesels were still streetable :D

ETH/DEE, not that you know anything? i would imagine you know alot. And yes your right i should make that a longterm goal and work up to it, i guess im just trying to get things planned out so i have an idea of what i should and could be doing. So there have been a few people on cf that have told me 160 pumps are the best to build? They wrong, right or both?

rtofflemire, so when you had your s364, it did a pretty good job on the street? about how much power will it help produce/hold up to?

madmike, i was thinking when i can ill take it to about 18* for now and see how it reacts and then as soon as things fall into place just advance a degree or 2 at a time until i find where the truck runs best.

Last edited:
Thats true. Having a turbo that spools slow is kind of like not having a turbo at all on the street, right? Thats what ford and gm did back in the day, and those diesels were still streetable

yeah your right! a 64 or a 66 would probley be a better choice, more usable power.

rtofflmire, so when you had your s364, it did a pretty good job on the street? about how much power will it help produce/hold up to?

mine was an odd ball cat charger 64/71.90ar housing with a t4 flange. i made 579hp on lcd's dyno and my timing was at 23* but i think the 14cm housing would help spool up and power. Brett has made some good power with his. i dont know how long it will live at those power levels.

if its not much at all, please tell me if im wrong. 64/71/14...64 represents the front compressor wheel size, 71 is the rear turbine wheel size, and 14 is the exhaust housing size?

so thats what id basically want to be looking for, or something a bit bigger? sorry if im asking dumb questions, just trying to gather as much info as possible..

Last edited:
ETH/DEE, not that you know anything? i would imagine you know alot. And yes your right i should make that a longterm goal and work up to it, i guess im just trying to get things planned out so i have an idea of what i should and could be doing. So there have been a few people on cf that have told me 160 pumps are the best to build? They wrong, right or both?

I've heard that's all scheid's uses, but I don't know for sure. Something special about them.

rtofflemire, so when you had your s364, it did a pretty good job on the street? about how much power will it help produce/hold up to?

madmike, i was thinking when i can ill take it to about 18* for now and see how it reacts and then as soon as things fall into place just advance a degree or 2 at a time until i find where the truck runs best.

Sounds like a plan

if its not much at all, please tell me if im wrong. 64/71/14...64 represents the front compressor wheel size, 71 is the rear turbine wheel size, and 14 is the exhaust housing size?

so thats what id basically want to be looking for, or something a bit bigger? sorry if im asking dumb questions, just trying to gather as much info as possible..

You are right on the numbers. To be more specific, the 64 is the compressor inducer side, and the 71 is the turbine exducer side. And yes.

Awsome, again thank you all for the help an everything, now i just gotta find a charger to experiment with, and possibly have someone help me out with timing my truck...Have never tried timing a 12v before, but i would imagine you retard the engine (move counter clockwise) to advance the pump? Its probably really simple to do, all the articles i have read on how to do it kinda confuse me a little bit.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's that simple.

Turn the motor counter clockwise AFTER you take off the pump gear lol
And it's late and I'm tired, so roughly 1/2 inch turn on the damper is 8*

im tired as well...i dont wanna keep you up with all these simple questions, and ones that you have probably answered over time and time again, but alls id have to do is get the engine at tdc, mark a line on the damper for refereance of where im timing it from stock to what ever, turn the motor so damper moves 1/2in, mark another line for referance of how far i moved for the finished *, put pump gear back on and my truck is advanced 8* like that? from 11.5-19.5?

Back