stud???? A-1 vs. ARP

dirtydozen

it is what it is
well...what do you guys think? i'm not too crazy bout millin my rockers to fit the ARP's....you have to do that right...for the ARPS's?

i would like to just do the A-1's so i dont have to do anything to the rockers...just the valve covers. but i have heard some not so good things about the A-1's. any opinions?

any body have either of them? good or bad? thanks...

btw...i'v seen about 60lbs of boost so far, and i havent held it to the floor yet. so the HG probly aint too sure about life right now haha. so and external gate and studs are next...

I Think Arp Is A Better Product Have Hear Good And Bad Things About A1 So I Have Stayed Away From Them

If you are going with ARP. Don't even bother with the standards. A1's or 625's.

625's are overpriced and rated. We have both A1's and ARP's nothing wrong with either brand just where you buy them from I would say that scheid and haisley use plenty of A1 studs so i doubt their is anything wrong with them. We put a marine hg and standard arps in a 12v for a temporary mid season finish and it lasted 2 more years until the block cracked. Hg and studs were perfect. Call a supplier and buy which ever one they sell.

625s overrated? Prove it.

How? that our standards hold 3.0 s400 boost levels with a 13mm pump? That they are less than half the price? That they are torqued to more than 14mm studs with less surface area to distribute the pressure in the block so they pull the threads out? You prove me wrong.

625's are overpriced and rated. We have both A1's and ARP's nothing wrong with either brand just where you buy them from I would say that scheid and haisley use plenty of A1 studs so i doubt their is anything wrong with them. We put a marine hg and standard arps in a 12v for a temporary mid season finish and it lasted 2 more years until the block cracked. Hg and studs were perfect. Call a supplier and buy which ever one they sell.

Ride42 here is the proof!! ^^^^^^ LOL

Ride42 here is the proof!! ^^^^^^ LOL

Do you have any proof or do you just ride around with your head up somebody elses ass?

Use the search function. It has been discussed on here before.

Do you have any proof or do you just ride around with your head up somebody elses ass?

No need to get all A$$ hurt. Simple question: What are A1's tensile strength.

i dont know what the tensil strength is of either. I have other trucks for proof. One that uses standard arps with .105 firerings. You make a smart ass comment and i replied. Its all good otherwise.

How? that our standards hold 3.0 s400 boost levels with a 13mm pump? That they are less than half the price? That they are torqued to more than 14mm studs with less surface area to distribute the pressure in the block so they pull the threads out? You prove me wrong.

I go by what I have seen.. There have been many on here that have had issues with the standard ARP's, as well as myself. I might has well have burned my 425 bucks in the bonfire. I would have enjoyed it more.

Do you have any proof or just cases where A1's did the job just fine? I have standard ARP studs in my truck. We'll see how they did whenever I get a chance to pull the head but I also used a Felpro gasket because I didn't know they were complete sh!t with head gaskets at the time. I just want to know why you say the 625 series stud is overrated...?

"With performance enthusiasts adding increasing amounts of turbo boost to diesel applications,
ARP® has provided an extra measure of security in the form of extra-strong head
studs manufactured from the firm's proprietary Custom Age 625+® material that has a
minimum rating of 260,000 psi tensile strength"

I couldn't find a tensile strength rating for the A1 studs in my brief search with Google. So, if you find the strength let us know.

Last edited:
Do you have any proof or just cases where A1's did the job just fine? I have standard ARP studs in my truck. We'll see how they did whenever I get a chance to pull the head but I also used a Felpro gasket because I didn't know they were complete sh!t with head gaskets at the time. I just want to know why you say the 625 series stud is overrated...?

First off that quote was not directed towards you. No i have never spent the money for the 625 as my actual two trucks run 14mm studs. A friend of mine that had his truck featured in diesel builder mag put 625's in his truck. After a week of break in, he retorded the studs to spec and when he was done and picking up tools, three of the studs popped. They actually broke in half and left dents in the hood. He put A1's in after that and had no problems. Im not a engineer so all i can do is relay personal dealings also.

I go by what I have seen.. There have been many on here that have had issues with the standard ARP's, as well as myself. I might has well have burned my 425 bucks in the bonfire. I would have enjoyed it more.

I wouldnt call you out on that because it was your personal dealings. What problems did you have?

I think standard arps and a1 asre in the 220ksi area. Im not saying that the 625 are not stonger studs, i think if you need that much holding power then you need to go to 14mm so it increases the threaded contact area and distributes the load over a greater area. Basically i think the studs are stronger than the blocks.

Last edited:
There are a few variables that could have happened as well...so I'm going to chalk this up to one of those "run what you want, because all cases have worked fine before" types of deals.

There are a few variables that could have happened as well...so I'm going to chalk this up to one of those "run what you want, because all cases have worked fine before" types of deals.

deal:hehe::Cheer:

deal:hehe::Cheer:
So you'll agree with him but not me:poke::hehe:

As was said before, pick a vendor you like/trust and get what they sell. Shop for quality vendors, and trust their products.

Milling rockers has been done a bunch. I've got a spare set if you want to have some ready to go in.

So you'll agree with him but not me:poke::hehe:

As was said before, pick a vendor you like/trust and get what they sell. Shop for quality vendors, and trust their products.

Milling rockers has been done a bunch. I've got a spare set if you want to have some ready to go in.

Hey, the new pump does have a plate in it. LOL Im halfway there.

Back