Super and Turbo Charged 1.9 TDI

That is a Mini Cooper supercharger. I would not use that for a big build but it would make for a fun street set up.
I would put it infront of the injection pump and move the AC lines around or make a small intake and just put it there.

Theres enough room back there it would fit under the hood. If i really wanted to i would take the intake off and it would slide right back there.

Wow, seems big for a Mini Cooper! I believe you that it fits back there, but if it's way back there it's going to be hell trying to get the serpentine belt past the motor mount. Maybe I do sound negative... I want you to know that more than anybody- I'd like to see this setup properly and see how well it works.

For all the complication and expense, it might be worth eventually swaping the motor into a race car with a strong tranny and RWD.

Last edited:
Ok noob, what is wrong with Kerma?

I have been on TDI club for about 5 months, doing THOROUGH research for a car for my wife, upgrades, helping my brother out on his TDI build, Googling out the nose. Not ONCE did I find a problem with Kerma.

So you join 1 year ago on TDIClub and already a "Guru" of what this guy should build?

Like I told him, join the Club, use the search, check out the TDI Performance forum for more info.

:pop:

Pissy, no. But talking smack about a reputable guy is no beuno here on CompD.

If you want to make an argument, then post or pm. 90% of the time I double check facts before posting crap.

Well, you called me noob (yeah I know I'm a noob) and you poked fun of me for acting like a "guru"- I don't have guru knowledge and I never claimed to. I only claimed that I stand by the parts list I made considering the goals he has in mind. It sounds like he wanted to just bolt it up and leave everything else alone- and I could come up with a lot of good arguments why that would be a waste of money- it would just break the motor.

Lets start with compression ratio! You truck guys are used to stock engines with fairly low compression ratios. When you do a serious build, you're going down to very low levels to deal with the extremely high cylinder pressures and exhaust gas temperatures.

On the ALH, the stock compression ratio is 19.5:1 You will start breaking parts quickly right around 180-200hp in the ALH with stock CR. If you want to go to 300hp, you need to lower that compression ratio a lot. Gotta pay to play, or so they say.

Last edited:
You will not break parts at 200hp. At 200hp all you need are head studs.

Now if we are talking about going 300hp then you will need a full build. But 200hp not a chance!

Manual, after 15mins you cannot edit your post. A mod can but you cannot. Had problems with people starting crap and then editing it later.

Guys, I retract my lack of respect for Manual. He knows what he is talking about. :)

i know ive dealt with charle/kerma since 03 and he has never done me wrong.. and if you do the math my car was making a little over 210hp to the ground at 94mph without studs but i paid alot of attention to airflow

I'm actually planning to do a "twincharged" tdi in two seater tube frame rock buggy with toyota drivetrain (when I get to that project in a year or two haha). I have an eaton m90 laying around and a hy30. Tuning will be a little tricky, but I don't see why it wouldn't rip ass. Use the N75 map of the ecu to control the supercharger's bypass valve, that way it wouldn't be dragging all the time.

Matt, please please please tell me when you're working on this.. I want to see it being built!!! (Also, I'm moving closer to ohio...)

Whitbread .. I am planning a similar deal a m90 with a modified hy35 with a 6 cm exhaust housing blowing into the m90.. looking to grab a short pully snout from eaton.. they used to offer them.. but not too cheap....on my tdi..plan on doing it in a a1 jetta 2 door coupe.. biggest issue is trying to get the a/c into the jetta... i'm not looking forward to that.. the old vw a/c kinda sucked and adapting teh new a/c in proabbly will too..lol
Thanks,
Deo

i cant help but question if their spraying nitrous to get 400hp on the crank? if so it would be easy to say the supercharger setup would be the dependable choice for longevity

Back