Super B turbo repair kit

Destroked 450

Where can I get a rebuilt kit and 57mm inducer wheel for a Super B single, S300G.
17k total miles and the bearings are shot, wheel rubbed the case, case is ok but the wheel needs replaced.
None of my searches have shown a 57mm wheel, lots of 63-66mm but no 57mm.

3 weeks and not one single reply, starting to look like I should completely avoid BW turbo's if I can't get replacement parts for one.

Borg Warner doesn't much deal with replacement parts. They are in the new turbo game. New wheels can be had but by the time you put a wheel, kit and time into it you may as well buy a cartridge and be done.

Have you tried BD, Stainless diesel , ED

Called BD, they only sell new turbos

Borg Warner doesn't much deal with replacement parts. They are in the new turbo game. New wheels can be had but by the time you put a wheel, kit and time into it you may as well buy a cartridge and be done.

Truck mfg's are in the new truck game but they will sell parts for those trucks they've sold.
Rebuild kit for S300 is $100-150 and I've been told it will work on a S300GX, haven't been able to find the 57mm compressor wheel. I've seen 62mm wheels for around $150-200, if 57mm wheel is same price I can rebuild for $250-350.Best price I've found for a cartridge is $650 and three weeks out.

Comparing the turbo market to the new truck market is apples to oranges. You have to realize a lot of the new 62mm, 63mm, etc.. wheels you are seeing are new take outs from a company who starts with a new turbo to create something different. The wheels you are seeing for sale are out of popular OEM gated chargers and box chargers.

Or you could tell them to quote a reman from borg.... They don't only do new stuff. They just don't particularly like people or businesses that rebuild.

You can rebuild yourself for $400 with a balance job and hope the turbine shaft is still concentric, bearing housing isn't scarred to beat hell, piston ring groove doesn't need oversized, etc... or spend $650 and have a warranty. Just trying to help you out here. Give them your S300G part number and ask for a reman price.

If you want to see that 300g let me know

Going to hang on to it for now, not sure what I'm going to do at the moment, everything is set up for the super b (exhaust, oil line fittings, ect) on a flipped manifold so it's not just a straight swap to go back to a hx35.
I guess I'm a little reluctant on putting much money into this turbo or another one like it after having this one fail with less than 20k miles on it.

Check oil supply, drain, charge air, etc.. That turbocharger should not have failed within 20k miles unless it has an issue within its system or it was driven too hard.

I agree, it should have lasted for a long time no harder than I was pushing it. I drove semi's for 30 years, farm tractors and industrial equipment with turbo's and this is my first low mile or low hour failure. My old 95 7.3 truck had over 225k miles on original turbo when I sold it. showed some signs of dusting from a K&N filter (didn't know better then) but shaft play was good.
Oil supply is good #4 braided line with correct fittings, Cummins flexable drain pretty much straight down angled forward to the block fitting. No signs of dusting, had boost set at 30 psi and no signs of leaks when we pulled everything off. Only a few hot shutdowns when it couldn't be avoided but even then never over 450 degrees, showed little signs of coking.
I have had a head gasket pushing oil into the radiator but several checks at the oil plug showed only a few drops of coolant.

If it isn't pushing oil then I would lead towards oil contamination for sure but this is all speculation of course. Have you taken the wheel of? There should be a 6 digit part number on the back of it somewhere. I can see what I can come up with for you.

Thanks, I'll take a look when I get back up to my nephews shop where the trucks at tomorrow after noon, I've got a tractor torn down in my little shop and he has AC in his, all the more reason to take it there.
I have the wheel off and shaft out but haven't removed the bearings yet. The shaft has a couple thousands wear where the bearings run, I know that's not a good thing but was hoping it would get me by until finances get a little better.
It's been a bad year for repairs here on the farm and cattle are bringing half of what they where bringing two years ago.

Thanks, I'll take a look when I get back up to my nephews shop where the trucks at tomorrow after noon, I've got a tractor torn down in my little shop and he has AC in his, all the more reason to take it there.
I have the wheel off and shaft out but haven't removed the bearings yet. The shaft has a couple thousands wear where the bearings run, I know that's not a good thing but was hoping it would get me by until finances get a little better.
It's been a bad year for repairs here on the farm and cattle are bringing half of what they where bringing two years ago.

Scarring on the shaft is a tell tale sign of oil contamination. It can probably be run in a pinch without much worry. I'll look through my core stock and see if there are any 57mm S300 chargers. They are all 62mm IIRC but there may be one. If there is just send me the turbine wheel. I'll see if I can polish it for free and do a quick balance job if we can find you a compressor wheel for reasonable. I don't want everybody and their grandma thinking I'll do this for free but I am not a sponsor here and I don't see any sponsors stepping up.

zfaylor
Thanks for helping me out with my turbo problem, got it mounted up today and had planed on having the truck running by the weekend, but we couldn't get the fuel system primed. I had ordered new hose and fittings to replace the fuel lines a while back to help with a low fuel pressure issue I've always had (factory lines where to small), The fittings they sent don't work properly on the hose I ordered, I had ordered Teflon lined hose and looks like the fittings are for rubber hose. Sent them a email but it'll probably take a week to get the correct fittings here so we can replumb it again.

Just curious on what you ended up doing to repair the turbo. Did you manage to find an OEM compressor wheel?

Last edited:
I sent it to zfaylor and he fixed it, I think he had a good used wheel and shaft he put in with a new bearing kit. It looks good and feels good.
He saved my bacon for sure

Getting close to having it back together

DSC00502.jpg

Back