SuperB and Towing

relay93

Well finally made my longest pull with the 5th wheel in tow after the install of the Super B turbo. The #10 plate is set a bit forward of center and the AFC is tuned pretty good or at least to my liking for smoke control. What I noticed is I really needed to be in the upper rpm range to see the egt's climb slower and the boost would be around 24psi while going up a grade. I could run 70mph on the Turner Turnpike between Tulsa and OKC with the egt's getting to around 1250. Now from OKC to Ft. Worth was a little different. If I lost speed because of traffic the egt's would climb pretty quick and I could of easily allowed the egt's go above 1300 and the boost around 15psi but I would back out of the throttle so getting back to 65mph or even to 70mph would take a little bit of time.

My question to you is this: Do I back the #10 plate off some more on the conservative side, do I need to go back to a #11 plate, do I add to the SuperB turbo, you get the idea.

The twin setup is good but more money and I'm not real thrilled about dealing with punching a hole in the oil pan for the oil return line of the 2nd turbo. I use to run the #11 plate and did all right as far as towing and egt's.
Or is more tuning in store for me, just got the tuning to where I have been averaging 19 mpg again.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

The twin setup is good but more money and I'm not real thrilled about dealing with punching a hole in the oil pan for the oil return line of the 2nd turbo.

I believe there is a oil return pipe out there that is setup like a y to accept the return of the secondary and primary. Do a search.

I asked the question about that being a good idea i.e. would oil back up into the turbos but didn't get any response.

Did that but the egt's would still climb back to the 1200 to 1250 mark.
Did alot of driving by egt which was ok.

TC42. The 5th wheel is about 10k empty and with gear maybe 11k to 11.5k. Yes frontal area is about like other 5th wheel trailers with the height being about 12ft 6inches to 13ft. Also it 3:54 gears. I do more highway than towing. Has anyone come out with 3:73's for the Dana 80 and Dana 60?

Forrest I am thinking the same with towing and twins.
If I was to go with twins what is the best way for dealing with the oil drain on the 2nd turbo.

Nick I know of the drain tube you are talking about and I don't remember the name of the company. I believe I told golfer smith and gave a link dealing with TC42 post on his situation with his turbo and high egt's.

Would the upgrade from BD's twin set up be the way to go? I see a lot of talk about the H3Tb sp? being a good turbo also on a search there is a link to a company in Texas that has Borg Warner S400 new for $635 but then finding someone willing to sell their piping kit minus turbos.

I am also looking for a newer truck as well but wanting to keep my '96

you can just tap into your oil pan for the 2nd drain.

You might try putting a 62mm compressor on that thing first, yes the 57mm S300 moves more air than your stocker, but not an insane amount... your stocker is a 57mm... older tech, non ETT wheel, etc. but the Super B is only rated for 450hp... you'd probably be towing better with a stock HE351 off of an 04.5+ 5.9 :eek:

Talk to chris at enigineered diesel and he'll set you in the right direction.

3.73s are available for the D80 and D60, no problem. They may help you out a little, but if you do more highway driving then towing your MPGs will suffer a little.

With my tire size and 3.73 gears I am effectively back to a 3.55 ratio. I don't know if dropping your gearing to 3.73 would be worth the cost for what you would get in return.

What is your timing set at?

In my experience, the 57mm S300 Super B is actually a very stout, and good towing turbo. I have read the claims that it will support 450hp...... that might be good for a dyno run, but it sure isn't useful HP in the real world.

If you wanted to go with twins, be sure to look at the twins parts from Source Automotive, it might be a cheaper way to go than BD. Also, Engineered Diesel sells all the necessary piping and brackets to put twins on a 12V. It might be worth getting a quote from them on the parts.

I tow with my twins ,#10 plate s300g (57)and a tv71 primary (74)I run the plate full forward and the afc back all the way back.

My 62/68 does better towing than the s300g (super B) that I had. The 62/68 would climb to 1300 or so then when it lit EGTs would drop to 1100. If I kept it at 1800rpm or above 1150 was all I could get it to at ~50mph, 4th gear, 23,000lbs GCVWR

I would steer away from the BD turbo, the super B is small, I only recomend it for standard trucks that want a quick spool for raceing. They are a little on the small side for towing a big load. I tow with a 62 phat shaft. At around 10 000 pounds gvw I can tow at 120km/h though the mountains in southern BC wich are pretty steep and long. The twins would help you out a lot, BD does sell the piping only now, but I plan on buying stuff from source automotive, so I only have to buy the parts i can't/don't want to build.

Well the trip home was a better. I feel like I had a better understanding of the turbo I was able to keep 70mph by keeping and temps at around 1250 to 1300 for the highs. Another thing I was heading north so no real head winds to deal with like there was when going south. The Arbuckles South of Ardmore Oklahoma were the only challenge and that was because of the 18 wheeler I got behind due to the driver was passing a passenger car and then the trucker decided he would slow down. I also to got the rpms and boost higher before hitting any major inclines and that helped as well. I need to mention that the timing is still stock so we will get the timing increased which will help and then try more tuning.

Well the trip home was a better. I feel like I had a better understanding of the turbo I was able to keep 70mph by keeping and temps at around 1250 to 1300 for the highs. Another thing I was heading north so no real head winds to deal with like there was when going south. The Arbuckles South of Ardmore Oklahoma were the only challenge and that was because of the 18 wheeler I got behind due to the driver was passing a passenger car and then the trucker decided he would slow down. I also to got the rpms and boost higher before hitting any major inclines and that helped as well. I need to mention that the timing is still stock so we will get the timing increased which will help and then try more tuning.

I'm still toying with the twins idea. Do manage fine with the B also. Plate is center and afc tuning keeps the smoke down while still performing good. TT is 14k dry. Don't want to know actual weight with all our stuff loaded. :lolly:

The stock timing will hurt EGT's quite a bit. Advance it to 16* or so and i bet you will be able to use the power much better.

Eric

Back