Supercharger tune

Blownoiler

There seems to be a lack of discussion on the net about how to tune your diesel engine when running a crank driven supercharger, the few supercharged builds that I have followed over the last few years seem to die out not long after the engine is run on the street, presumably because the engine dies an unnatural early demise. What needs to be changed in order to run a crank driven charger in comparison to a turbo set-up? ...comments please!

There seems to be a lack of discussion on the net about how to tune your diesel engine when running a crank driven supercharger, the few supercharged builds that I have followed over the last few years seem to die out not long after the engine is run on the street, presumably because the engine dies an unnatural early demise. What needs to be changed in order to run a crank driven charger in comparison to a turbo set-up? ...comments please!

Gasoline

To much low end tourqe would be my guess. I dont think many die I just thing the owners get busy and dont update there thread.

The huge jump in low end torque certainly presents problems, possibly the choice of supercharger size (and drive ratio) could help to overcome this imbalance, by using a larger than generally accepted charger driven slower in relation to crankshaft speed, therefore allowing the low speed blower leakage to keep low end boost down to an engine friendly figure....
I have only followed 3 or 4 builds over the last few years, they all suffered damage of one sort or another, along with overheating problems.

I've seen a few setups on duramax's but dont think they ever have been pushed to see any of their potential. I also think that a crank driven supercharger on a dmax is just asking to break the crank

I've seen a few setups on duramax's but dont think they ever have been pushed to see any of their potential. I also think that a crank driven supercharger on a dmax is just asking to break the crank
If boost pressure is kept down to levels comparable to the original turbo boost level then surely the engine shouldn't sustain any overheating or other problems, yet my limited experience in this area shows that boosting using a charger changes things somewhat....

Why would a centri blower add so much more low end torque? They don't start working until you spin them hard and peak air flow is only met near redline. A turbo spools much faster.

Why would a centri blower add so much more low end torque? They don't start working until you spin them hard and peak air flow is only met near redline. A turbo spools much faster.
Not every engine and pulley combo is the same.

and just because you run lower than stock boost levels doesn't mean you're not making more heat.

Doesn't matter the engine or pulley combo you won't make power any quicker. You'll just make a ton of heat. After max impeller speed. A centri blower is a slow spooling power adder. The slowest actually.

Diesels are easy: just limit fueling if you don't want to make too much torque.

But you need conpletely different cams for supercharger.

Last edited:
Back