Surging basterd.

ride42

980MW
So, I sent my pump off to Seth at DPE and had him go through it and bump the timing to 24 degrees and also turn the barrels/plungers.

Well, after all that my pump is now set on the 2nd setting which is 400cc at 40psi. Before I sent the pump off I would have to work to get the turbo (S300G 62mm/65mm) to surge.

That is no longer the case. If I am on it with O/D off so it locks up at 30mph it will surge till I let off. Taking the truck from a launch it will surge at every shift point including lockup in 2nd. I have to pedal the truck up to about 45-50mph and then from there I can go full throttle and I have an ever so slight haze so it is cleaning up the fuel very well. I tried messing with the adjustable boost elbow and that did nothing. I haven't really messed with anything else because I'm not really sure what to check for the surging..any help?

Mods are: 4k gsk, 0-plate set to 400cc at 40psi, 5x.014 injectors, timing at 24 degress, .030 delivery valves, and the S300G with 62mm compressor wheel instead of the 57mm.

Unfortunately, I think you are stuck with the problem until you swap chargers. A 62/71/14 would most likely take care of your problems. When the compressor wheel is close to the same size as the turbine on a fast spooling charger, they tend to like to surge if they are pushed hard down low.

Also, if you are clearing the smoke with a 62/65/14 I have a hard time believing you have 400cc of fuel. That is a lot more than most make it out to be IMO.

Eric

Woot! 3K posts.

Seth set it up on the stand and I have a map for 4 different settings and also the CC amount for no plate.

Not trying to hijack this thread.
Can some one tell me how the truck reacts when they start surging. Does it feel like the truck is bucking? I experienced a bucking while pulling my 5th wheel in third gear at about 200 rpms.

Thanks

Roger

Seth set it up on the stand and I have a map for 4 different settings and also the CC amount for no plate.

400 cc's seems like a lot to be clearing with a standard 62mm compressor too. I have no doubt Seth set the pump up for the fuel. Perhaps the afc is not moving out of the way to allow the rack to hit the plate or maybe the position vs. fueling Seth gave you is a bit off?

Are the EGTs or boost any different prior to sending the pump off? How's the pump drive just normal? I'm interested in potentially having Seth set me up a 180 pump just for the fact that with balance between the barrels i'd imagine the truck would drive nicer. I will only be running an ED 62 so it won't be able to clear all the fuel of a pump with barrels turned at full boogy.

Not trying to hijack this thread.
Can some one tell me how the truck reacts when they start surging. Does it feel like the truck is bucking? I experienced a bucking while pulling my 5th wheel in third gear at about 200 rpms.

Thanks

Roger

Bucking is usually a governor issue in my experience. Combine it with a torn tranny mount and it can get really ugly!:doh:

400 cc's seems like a lot to be clearing with a standard 62mm compressor too. I have no doubt Seth set the pump up for the fuel. Perhaps the afc is not moving out of the way to allow the rack to hit the plate or maybe the position vs. fueling Seth gave you is a bit off?

Are the EGTs or boost any different prior to sending the pump off? How's the pump drive just normal? I'm interested in potentially having Seth set me up a 180 pump just for the fact that with balance between the barrels i'd imagine the truck would drive nicer. I will only be running an ED 62 so it won't be able to clear all the fuel of a pump with barrels turned at full boogy.

my 180 is sitting at Seth's right now, I'll let ya know how it runs when it comes back.:rockwoot:

Possibly back off the springs a click. I had great luck running 4 K springs that would only fuel to 3500. Truck was super nice to drive, crank them down to get the 4000 and it became very touchy. You could play with the AFC also. That might help. Crank the AFC star wheel up so it doesn't fuel so hard.

How's the pump drive just normal? I'm interested in potentially having Seth set me up a 180 pump just for the fact that with balance between the barrels i'd imagine the truck would drive nicer.

What needs to be taken into account as far as the fueling goes is I can't get on it until I'm in the higher RPMs and in O/D so there's not much for hard fueling up there. Down low it rolls no problem unless I pedal it.

The truck drives great other than when I hot rod it and the surging issue comes up. There is a lot more power with the plate right in the middle compared to full forward before I had it sent off. EGTs climb quicker but are very controllable. Starting the truck sucks due to the higher timing but a bump of the throttle and it fires right up.

Possibly back off the springs a click. I had great luck running 4 K springs that would only fuel to 3500. Truck was super nice to drive, crank them down to get the 4000 and it became very touchy. You could play with the AFC also. That might help. Crank the AFC star wheel up so it doesn't fuel so hard.

Thanks for the info Dan. I will have to try it this weekend and see what I can come up with.

I could be wrong, but that seems like way more fuel than any 62 can handle, let alone a 62/65. Thats a LOT of fuel dude! Need more air:evil

I could be wrong, but that seems like way more fuel than any 62 can handle, let alone a 62/65. Thats a LOT of fuel dude! Need more air:evil

Yeah, I tried to get it bumped up to a 64mm compressor because I was under the impression it was a 62mm with the 71mm turbine. There was a mixup from the guys that built it and it's the S300G with the compressor housing machined for the 62mm wheel. The turbine still has the ridge around it just on the inside so no way a 71mm wheel could fit. The bearing cartridge was too small too accept the 64mm wheel and to get it how I wanted would be around $900..so it's either twins or sell this turbo and get a 64mm.

You may not have enough timing, My truck would surge bad then i added more timing and my truck next to never surges now

Ok. All I know is when I had the turbo in front of me and the guy at the front desk of HTT he said that the flange being there was a dead giveaway it was no bigger than a 65mm turbine wheel.

You may not have enough timing, My truck would surge bad then i added more timing and my truck next to never surges now

24 degrees is plenty for what I want. Any higher and I wouldn't want to daily drive it.

Ok. All I know is when I had the turbo in front of me and the guy at the front desk of HTT he said that the flange being there was a dead giveaway it was no bigger than a 65mm turbine wheel.

well, that doesn't tell us which turbine housing it has... if it were a .70, a swap to a .80 would probably clear up your surging.

my 62/65 would surge locking up in OD, but at no other points. granted, my 06 head flows better than your 12v head

well, that doesn't tell us which turbine housing it has... if it were a .70, a swap to a .80 would probably clear up your surging.

my 62/65 would surge locking up in OD, but at no other points. granted, my 06 head flows better than your 12v head

Didn't figure it would, just saying what I know about it. If I have time this weekend I will pull it and take a look.

Back