suspension help, dmax 4x4 launch

Removing rear springs will make the weight transfer worse for a 4x4. just a FYI. I cut 1.5- 60' times and 10.70ET in a lbz with stock suspension(overload removed) with caltracs, spring clamps, QA-1 shocks and cognito braces. Very repeatable set-up.

Removing rear springs will make the weight transfer worse for a 4x4. just a FYI. I cut 1.5- 60' times and 10.70ET in a lbz with stock suspension(overload removed) with caltracs, spring clamps, QA-1 shocks and cognito braces. Very repeatable set-up.

My problem is I have no weight transfer at all.... My a$$ stays planted and the front end comes straight up and fights itself horribly. What do you mean by the springs being "clamped"? Got pics? I need to see this to understand whats goin on here :pop:

Hey Guys listen to Rob on this one!

I'm listening :lolly:

Basically clamp the bottom(overload) spring to the rest of the pack. You can take 2 pieces of flat stock and drill holes in each side and bolt the together pulling the springs together. You put them at each end where the plastic noise isolator is.

This is a basic clamp:
spring_clamps.jpg

When racing I put one on the front and Rear of Both Springs.

You are describing weight transfer... The weight transfers to the rear to plant the rear and the front lifts...

You're 22" wheels with 33" tires arent helping either! There is no sidewall which means no squish. Spring clamp right side in the front lower torsions all the way then crank LF 2 turns back up...Thats what I do anyways 1.6x 60s
Definitely too much boost leave at less and you will be worlds ahead. start at 12 and go up from there.

Basically clamp the bottom(overload) spring to the rest of the pack. You can take 2 pieces of flat stock and drill holes in each side and bolt the together pulling the springs together. You put them at each end where the plastic noise isolator is.

This is a basic clamp:
spring_clamps.jpg

Where in the world did you find a picture of that generic of a set of clamps :hehe:

good info guys keep it coming. Had every intention of working on it tonight but customers come first :/

This is a basic clamp:
spring_clamps.jpg

So if I remove some leafs do I still need to clamp them?

So if I remove some leafs do I still need to clamp them?

I wouldn't even remove any leafs. You are just going to add to the problem like Rob said. Just clamp the front of your rear leaf springs so your overload is tight to the rest of the pack. Try and borrow somebodies stock pyo with tires. You're going to be way better off.

The overload and one spring is gone now. It feels like it squats better and it certainly doesnt break traction in 2 wheel drive as easy anymore. Just goes instead. I guess we'll see tomorrow if it helped. To the guys that say dont remove anything; I appreciate y'alls input and it did get considered. However, I've ran this setup and now its time for a change. It seems that clamps on the leafs would almost be the same as removing the overload and 1 spring and just putting a little pre-load on the cal-tracs. I need the ass to go down some and it just wasnt happening with the old setup. Thanks for the input guys! :Cheer:

i know its a little late for this, but i had found that the 285 on 16 bfg tires i ran would chatter and bounce with more air pressure. but, as i let the air out and let the tires spin like crazy, i cut better 60'. when the tires would spin, it would drift a little but alway seemed to stay staight. this was also with a front locker. on a side note, with an a5k i was launching at about 2500 rpm, but dont know what boost that was

Rob you said that you clamped the springs without overloads. Where did you put the clamps? I have my caltracs on my truck now but am very unhappy with them. I cut way better 60' times with just clamped springs. Which holes are your caltracs in?

I make the cal-tracs as verticle as I can. This will help with rear anti-squat, which helps the front stay loaded.

I clamp the same area as with the overload. The clamp helps the springs stay together and not allow wrap up of the pack (reduce axle hop)

Just IMHO.

Thanks Rob. I know you have done extensive research in this area. I greatly appreciate the help.

Back