Suspension questions for the Drag racers

murphy41

What shocks are you guys running? Ive got everything for the front end ready to go. Just need to modify the rear and order my shocks. Having a hard time finding what Im needing. Not really concerned on what the price is gonna be. Ive seen em anywhere from $500 to $1100 each.

Truck is 4wd, 1/2ton front suspension. Lightened 3 leaf spring pack. Roll cage, gutted, stripped etc. Motor is being built around my 850hp drawn out build. And goal weight will be around 5500lbs at most. Any suggestions would be awsome as Ive searched on this and havent had much luck finding anything. Ill "probably" run Rancho adjustables in the front but am looking for something like a coil over adjusable shock for the rear.

Thanks in advance, Brandon.

What shocks are you guys running? Ive got everything for the front end ready to go. Just need to modify the rear and order my shocks. Having a hard time finding what Im needing. Not really concerned on what the price is gonna be. Ive seen em anywhere from $500 to $1100 each.

Truck is 4wd, 1/2ton front suspension. Lightened 3 leaf spring pack. Roll cage, gutted, stripped etc. Motor is being built around my 850hp drawn out build. And goal weight will be around 5500lbs at most. Any suggestions would be awsome as Ive searched on this and havent had much luck finding anything. Ill "probably" run Rancho adjustables in the front but am looking for something like a coil over adjusable shock for the rear.

Thanks in advance, Brandon.
I used the Rancho 9 way adjustable shocks and had 0 issues. A friend of mine uses some 90/10 shocks. I don't know who makes them or where he got them. I will find out tonight though.

summit has a pretty good price on a 4 link kit that includes qa-1 coilovers....dont think it included a panhard bar....mid 400s i think...same as cal tracs.

im in your boat brandon...but mines a 1/2 ton 2wd

I used the Rancho 9 way adjustable shocks and had 0 issues. A friend of mine uses some 90/10 shocks. I don't know who makes them or where he got them. I will find out tonight though.

he has the 90/10's on the front of his dodge ram or what, because im looking on summitracing.com and see them but no application specific shock, im guess if you can get the collapsed and expanded lengths then most any will work.

he has the 90/10's on the front of his dodge ram or what, because im looking on summitracing.com and see them but no application specific shock, im guess if you can get the collapsed and expanded lengths then most any will work.

That is correct. It is on a 2001 Dodge. Ill find out the info tonight when I get home.

I would love some more information on these, did you run the Ranchos in the front only, or on all four corners?

summit has a pretty good price on a 4 link kit that includes qa-1 coilovers....dont think it included a panhard bar....mid 400s i think...same as cal tracs.

im in your boat brandon...but mines a 1/2 ton 2wd

Ive debated on the 4-link kits and want to save that for next season. Wanna see how far I can push the leafs, with a good set of coil overs first. I do all my own motocross suspension, and assume a set of coil overs would have the same capabilities of being able to have the manufacturer, revalve, stack shims, etc. Not to mention be able to use different spring rates. And not need a 4-link, but its not totally out of the question.

Ive debated on the 4-link kits and want to save that for next season. Wanna see how far I can push the leafs, with a good set of coil overs first. I do all my own motocross suspension, and assume a set of coil overs would have the same capabilities of being able to have the manufacturer, revalve, stack shims, etc. Not to mention be able to use different spring rates. And not need a 4-link, but its not totally out of the question.

what are you using as far as controlling axle wrap?

It'll have a set of adjustable trac bars, its just a roller right now. Also will have a locker in both diffs.

Anyone else have some insight for me? I know there is more guys runnig race shocks.

I would love some more information on these, did you run the Ranchos in the front only, or on all four corners?

I ran the Ranchos on all 4 corners.

As for the 90/10's he said he ordered them from Calvert Racing.

What were your E.T times with the Ranchos? Clavert huh, ok thanks man ill hit up thier site quick.

Ill have to get my measurments for the extended and colapsed and look at finding a set. Whats your buddies E.Ts with the 90/10s?

air shocks

theres alot of cars hauling ass on leaf spring suspension and caltracs

I run QA-1 double adj coilovers on the front and good ol Comp Engineering 3-way adj drag shocks on the rear (set on 50/50 and might try 70/30 setting once I get some passes on the truck).

2 leaf rear set-up and Cal-Tracs also. Not sure on race weight (changed too much stuff - needs to scaled out)

Drag racing with a locker in front does you know good pulls hard to the side just run what you have in front and save the money. If you where pulling a sled different story.

Drag racing with a locker in front does you know good pulls hard to the side just run what you have in front and save the money. If you where pulling a sled different story.

Agreed. A limited slip is sufficient in the front and much safer. a rear air locker will help in the back on most apps. I would not be as much worried about shocks and would look more into tires, light weight wheels, tire pressure, ladder and traction bars. I am running 1.47 60ft with standard BS $30 o'reilly front shocks. Do have adjustable coil overs in the back but that is mostly to control the torquing on the back passenger tire. Not saying that 90/10's will not help some but I believe that the other factors are much more important.

Back