suspension ?'s

AlmostBroke94

My truck will mainly be used on the street maybe some track
time here and there when she's finished, light to no pulling
And no off-road use. Its lowered 2in. I've been looking into
The ranchero 9000xl for the front and rear & was wondering if
Any one is currently running them or have ran them??

Also, I know my truck isn't going to be a drag truck or anything
like that but would it be beneficial to do either front and or rear
Coilovers?? Just trying to gather some opinions/knowledge here.

Have done a bit of research on all this stuff, but most of the threads
I have read through were others doing it on newer trucks and or there
Lifted rides.

I'm fairly new to the suspension side of things so I would like to be
Steered into the right direction.

I would go 4 link and bags. But I'd still be wanting to tow whatever I want with it.

IMO since you want what sounds like a fun quick driver I'd just swap your drivetrain into a 1/2 ton. I really see no need to get crazy with the suspension unless you do have some plans to race it.

Never ran adjustable shocks before. I've heard they can be helpful in trying to 'dial' the suspension in, but again probably not necessary for what you want to do.

Maybe I'm way off base here? You just looking for a smoother ride? You want a certain look? Cool factor?

I would go 4 link and bags. But I'd still be wanting to tow whatever I want with it.

IMO since you want what sounds like a fun quick driver I'd just swap your drivetrain into a 1/2 ton. I really see no need to get crazy with the suspension unless you do have some plans to race it.

Never ran adjustable shocks before. I've heard they can be helpful in trying to 'dial' the suspension in, but again probably not necessary for what you want to do.

Maybe I'm way off base here? You just looking for a smoother ride? You want a certain look? Cool factor?

Definitely not for the cool factor. I would love to be able to tune my suspension
Setup and dial it in for what ever I'm doing. Smoother ride would be nice.
But like I said I want it to be a street/track truck but that is my long term
Goal. Looks and cool factor don't apply to me at all. I want something
that will perform great and work in conjunction with street/track driving conditions.

Appreciate the info. Can anyone else chime in with some opinions/ideas
Or post pics of there setups??

Bilstein 5100 shocks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Thanks chevota. Are you currently running them on you truck?
I've heard good things about them just really interested in the ranchos
For some reason. Before I go any further with my motor I would like to
start working on the front end and suspension. Over the past two years
I have got the death wobbles 6 times, no fun ha.

X's 2 on the 5100's...you probably have more problems w your front end than just shocks though w death wobble...

X's 2 on the 5100's...you probably have more problems w your front end than just shocks though w death wobble...

And yes I know that. I'm just making it a point to upgrade my suspension
And definitely do some front end work.

But sounds like everyone likes the 5100's. I will have to look into them

Last edited:
I'm running them now, I replaced good rmx's with the 5100's and it made a big difference. It doesn't wallow in the corners as much and just feels much more controlled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I'm running 5100's up front as well. I can't say much for performance though because I installed them at the same time I did all TRE's, steering box, steering brace, removed leveling kit, new track bar, and stabilizer shock. But the truck felt like a whole differen't old truck when I did all those things.

I'm not sure how the 5100's will do though lowered 2". I imagine they would work great but i'm just curious as to how long they would last? Hopefully someone has some input on that

I'm running 5100's up front as well. I can't say much for performance though because I installed them at the same time I did all TRE's, steering box, steering brace, removed leveling kit, new track bar, and stabilizer shock. But the truck felt like a whole differen't old truck when I did all those things.

I'm not sure how the 5100's will do though lowered 2". I imagine they would work great but i'm just curious as to how long they would last? Hopefully someone has some input on that

I bet it rides amazing. And I wonder that as well. Thanks for the reply! And to everyone who has chimed in as well, it is highly appreciated. Before I decide between the 5100's or the 9000xl's im still going to do more research on both.

Last edited:
Back