Suspension stops

mkoontz1

Enough to be dangerous!
How is everyone setting them? The series I'm gonna pull in allows solid mount suspensions but I am just building stops for this year. Should they be set up to be right against the spring or left 1"? 2"? away? Heard some conflicting views and want to get some more advice.

If you can run it solid then put them right against the spring. No sense in letting the rear come down at all if you can help it.

I have good solid traction bars but I was concerned with possible wheel hop if I didn't allow the suspension to pre-load say 1" or so.. Just paranoid I guess.. I have them set up now to be against the springs but just wanted to check.

Here are the rules for the series I'm pulling in:

Suspension, Rear: An OEM-style suspension is mandatory. Traction bars and devices are permitted; they must be bolt on only; welds are permitted for attachment to frame or axle housing. Control arms may be strengthened or replaced, provided all original mounting points are retained. Strut tower braces, lower tie bars, sway bars, limit straps, and camber kits are permitted. The rear suspension may be bolted solid to eliminate travel. All rear suspensions must use at least one working shock absorber per wheel.

I can put them against the springs tight.. My question is whether its better to leave an inch so the springs pre-load a bit to help with hop..

Preload the springs then set the bumpstops so they are tight against the springs. Best way to do it.

Preload the springs then set the bumpstops so they are tight against the springs. Best way to do it.

Maybe I'm just not gettin it.. How do I preload the springs and then set the stops to them?

compress the springs about 2inches or so then put a u-bolt around the spring and flat bar under it and tighten. then bring your sus stops down to touch the spring, axle tube etc.

Hitch height is lost when the suspension pulls down. I would think you would want to aviod that if at all possible.

How is that? If you pull the sus down, then make the stops solid and hitch at 26" how did you loose anything? Mine has the "PT lean" on it. I guess I will see how it works soon.

I got mine with about 3/4" of travel, so when i throw some weigh in the bed they hit. I thought about mounting them farther back on the springs/frame rather then the center of the springs so that it would help even more with axle wrap and keep the back of the leaf springs from coming up...but I didn't. My traction bars seemed to work good enough though.

How is that? If you pull the sus down, then make the stops solid and hitch at 26" how did you loose anything? Mine has the "PT lean" on it. I guess I will see how it works soon.

If you pull the suspension down and clamp it there then you dont. But if you set your hitch at 26 and leave 1'' travel then your hitch height is now 25'' when hooked to sled. I understand what your saying, I was thinking if you didnt tie the suspension down somehow.

It will work just fine. Hope you got some oats under the hood if your running the "PT lean":lolly:

Let me know when your gonna make it out w/your truck

Jason

Back