SWWI Pullers 2.5 Diesel Truck Rules

245guytam

Weight: 2.5 Trucks 8,000 lb. Maximum, with driver.

Regulations

Ballast: Ballast is permitted. Front hanging weights are allowed, Weight not to exceed 60 inches forward of the center of the front axle. This will be measured from center of front axle to end of weight assembly. Ballast may be added in the bed of the truck. Weight box permitted only for weight. Holding fuel, batteries, or anything other than weight is prohibited.

Batteries: Batteries must be in stock location.

Body: The body must be the OEM truck body including the full bed floor. The body must retain full sheet metal. Metal aftermarket hoods are permitted. Fiberglass hoods and roll pans only are permitted. All Fiberglass hoods must be shielded on the underneath side with sheet metal or aluminum skin a minimum of .060 thick. The hood must be closed and securely latched while the truck is hooked to the sled. The complete OEM firewall and complete OEM floor pan is mandatory. A factory installed pickup bed or commercial style aftermarket bed must be installed.

Brakes: Four wheel hydraulic functional brakes are mandatory.

Chassis: The OEM chassis is mandatory. The engine must be in the OEM location for the body used. The vehicle must retain the OEM chassis. Wheel tubs, back half conversions, tube chassis, etc., are prohibited.

Cooling System: Radiators must be in stock location and be of at least stock size

Driveline: An OEM transmission and transfer case are mandatory. They must have been an option on a one ton or smaller pickup.

Engine: The engine block must have been available as a factory option on a one ton or smaller pickup truck. Cubic Inch limit of 444 CI. Blocks must circulate coolant freely. No hard filled blocks. Water pumps may be factory or electric powered. All factory belt driven accessories, excluding the air conditioning compressor, must be retained and powered via the crankshaft by a standard serpentine or “V” belt. Electric cooling fans are permitted.

Exhaust: All trucks must be equipped to direct exhaust upward. Hood stack permitted. Two 3/8 diameter bolts must be installed through exhaust pipe in a cross pattern within 1 inch of each other, as close to the turbo as possible.

Fuel: Hand throttles permitted. The fuel must be pump #1, #2 diesel or Soy/Biodiesel. Fuel must be commercially available. Fuel cell permitted in factory location or mounted securely in the bed.

Fuel Injection Pump: The fuel injection pump is limited to cylinder number specific (I.e. 6 cylinder pump on a 6 cylinder motor). Dual high pressure common rail fuel pumps or HPOPs are allowed. Ag governors permitted. No Sigma or 12 cylinder pumps allowed.

Harmonic Balancer: All engines turning more than 4500 RPM must be equipped with a harmonic balancer or dampener meeting SFI Spec 18.1.

Hitch: The hitch must be a receiver-style hitch. The receiver tube hitch must be horizontal/parallel to the ground and stationary in all directions. Reinforcements are permitted. Any hitch attachments/bracing must be from frame down not from axle up but must not extend forward of the center line of the rear axle, and must remain inside the frame rails. No part of the hitch can be above the frame rail. Trick hitches are prohibited. Bumper may be notched or removed.
Hooking point: The hooking point is defined as the point of contact between the hook of the sled and the rearmost part of the opening of the hitch (ie: where the hook drops). Hooking point must have a minimum of 3 inch by 3 ¾ inch inside opening for the sled hook. Hooking point must be parallel to the ground, and must not hinge or pivot in any direction. It must be the rear most point on the vehicle and must be rearward of the stock location of the tailgate. The hooking point must be a minimum of 44 inches from the center of the rear axle to the hooking point, a maximum of 24” from the ground. Final decision of legality of all hitches resides with the head tech official.

Intercoolers: Factory style or aftermarket air-to-air coolers allowed. No types of water to air coolers, No use of ice, water, cooled gas/vapor, or spray bars allowed.

Interior: A complete interior, including dashboard, door panels, headliner, etc. is mandatory. Two matching front seats are mandatory. Aftermarket seats a permitted, they must be fully upholstered. All factory controls lights, windows, signals, wipers, etc., must be retained and in working order. After market gauges are allowed.

Kill Switches: All trucks are required to have kill switch located on the back of the truck, located near the hooking point. On trucks with an electric injection fuel pumps it must have an electric shut off or disconnect for the injection pump on the back of the truck. It is recommended to have an air shut off on all trucks. Kill switch failure will result in disqualification. Electric shut off or air is permitted.

Nitrous Oxide: Nitrous Oxide is prohibited. No other oxygen extenders are allowed. All system components must be removed from the truck.

Propane: Propane is prohibited. All system components must be removed from the truck.

Rear End: Non OEM rear-end housings are prohibited. The rear end housings must have been for a one ton or smaller pickup pick up. Rear axle bolts must be covered with a cap or shield.

Safety Equipment: All drivers must wear a helmet, and a SFI 3.2a approved fire jacket and long pants, not necessarily fire suit pants. All visible u-joints must be shielded, along with axle bolts.

Steering: The vehicle must retain the full, original OEM steering gear. The vehicle must retain the original OEM power assistance, if it was so equipped. Additional stabilizers are permitted. Non OEM power assist methods are prohibited.

Street Equipment: Complete headlight and taillights assemblies are mandatory and must be operative, except the right front headlight may be removed for air inlet to engine. Complete OEM windshield and all other windows are mandatory. Windows must be able to operate per factory specifications; they must open and close via electrical or mechanical means.

Suspension - Front: The factory suspension configuration must be retained. Modifications to the front suspension that would alter the original location (I.e. moving it forward or backward) are not permitted. Strut tower braces, lower tie bars, sway bars, and limit straps are permitted. Traction bars and devices are permitted. Air shocks are prohibited.

Suspension - Rear: An OEM style suspension is mandatory. Traction bars and devices are permitted, they must be bolt on only, and welds are permitted for attachment to the frame or axle housing. Traction bars if installed must have a chain or cable or some type of safety device mounted one (1) foot from the front support to catch the bar in case of failure. Control arms may be strengthened or replaced, providing all original mounting points are retained and used. Sway bars, lower tie bars, limit straps, and camber kits are permitted. The rear suspension may be solid with a removable block. All rear suspensions must use at least one working leaf spring per wheel. Air bag spring assist and air shocks are prohibited.

Tires: The tires must be DOT street tires. Cut tires are prohibited. 35x12.50 maximum Factory dually trucks are allowed but must be STOCK size tires for that year and model. No bolt on duals allowed.

Transfer Case: Non - OEM transfer cases are prohibited. It must have been an option on a one ton or smaller pick-up truck.

Transmission - Automatic: Non - OEM transmissions are prohibited. Aftermarket torque converters, valve bodies and internal components are permitted. Transmission brakes are prohibited. Any non - OEM floor mounted automatic shifter must be equipped with a spring-loaded positive reverse lockout device to prevent the shifter from accidentally being put into reverse. A functional neutral safety switch is mandatory. Vehicle must not start in gear. All transmission lines must be metallic or high pressure type hose. All vehicles using an automatic transmission must be equipped with a flex plate meeting SFI Spec 29.1. A blow proof transmission blanket is recommended.

Transmission - Manual: Non - OEM transmissions are prohibited. Aftermarket internal components are permitted. A clutch meeting minimum SFI Spec1.1 or 2.1 is mandatory on all engines. All manual transmissions must be clutch assisted. Sequential shifters are prohibited. All transmissions or clutch pedals will have a safety interlock switch so that vehicle will not start in gear. A blow proof transmission blanket is recommended

TURBOCHARGER: A S-4, GT42, HX50 turbo is the largest turbo allowed with billet wheel permitted. A T-4 mounting flange is the largest allowed. A single turbocharger with a single compression stage is permitted, with drop-in style billet wheel only. Ford factory twin turbos are permitted with no alterations/modifications to bore/housing as long as the atmosphere turbo does not exceed the OEM straight bore dimension. (2.59”) No TAPERED COVERS will be permitted.
Turbos must be a true 2.5 charger before and after the MWE groove. No clipped wheels or step down covers. A square/straight cut .200” MWE groove maximum. Groove will be checked with a ball diameter of .200 on the end of a pick or by other means, no additional features or structures are permitted in the slot that would prevent passage of the ball. No angled MWE grooves, no radiusing or contouring is allowed; only sharp corners with minimal chamfers/edge rounding is legal. The compressor wheel exducer tip limit of 95mm will be measures with dial calipers or a ring gauge. Inducer bore must be non-removable, non-adjustable. All air must go through 2.5 inducer bore or MWE groove. The wheel must protrude into the 2.5 bore 1/8”. Turbos will be checked with a 2.550” plug. The Driver is required to make the compressor wheel and cover accessible for tech officials to measure bore and inspect compressor wheel at any time, Failure to comply with the request will result in disqualification and banishment until the turbo is re-inspected.

Water Injection: Water injection is prohibited. All system components must be removed from truck.

Wheelbase: The vehicle must retain the original factory wheel base and track width. Factory duals are allowed only with factory spec tires.

http://http://www.southwestwipullers.com/#!25-diesel-trucks/c66t

Looks like good set of rules .. Sounds a lot better than american farm pullers rules .

What you comp diesel police .2nd I really don't give damn what you have to say

Hood stacks in 2.5 now huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I believe he ment that there shouldn't be hood stacks or dual rears

I know that but I have a factory dually that can now run a hand throttle and hood stack and has to have factory stock tires, doesn't make much sense to me they could at least let factory dually run 33's.

I believe he ment that there shouldn't be hood stacks or dual rears

Proposed rules for 2017-
Open driveline
Deck plates
Aftermarket heads
A/w coolers
Mwe enhancement's allowed

I know that but I have a factory dually that can now run a hand throttle and hood stack and has to have factory stock tires, doesn't make much sense to me they could at least let factory dually run 33's.
I don't have a dog in this fight but here in Missouri, we did open up the rules for a few NON-POWER adding things such as hood stacks, hyd steering, fuel cells, and a few other minor things so that some of the 2.6 trucks could drop back a little easier so that our class numbers could grow.
As far as the dually rule goes, we made ours a single tire only class and I believe that is how all the 2.5 classes should be nation wide! Guys tried the whole "8in max tread width" rule here, yea that's a joke. Im sure the reason SWWI made the rule read the way it does is so that they can still allow Joe Blow with his stock dually truck come pull with them when his drunken buddies tell him he's a p*** for not trying it. We went through all this and for our organization, we came to the conclusion that if and when "Joe Blow" comes along, the techs will make an exception when this occurs. The reason we didn't specify this in our rulebook was due to the fact that how many "Joe Blows" will actually have all there safety equipment and all?
Guys I know everyone is after keeping a "beginners class" out there for the diesel pickup class but that's what the hometown "street" class is for. I mean how many Gas pickup classes and Tractor classes do you see out there where you got guys crying about NON-POWER adding gains? IMO, limit the power enhancing areas and cap them from going out of control (like BOB and there turbo rule for example) and let these guys build pulling trucks!

Hood stacks probobly steer more people away than you think.. just an appearance thing

This is a 2.5 Class and the only reason for a hood stack and a weight box is for me when I'm selling this show to town I do not want them to look like street trucks that pull for $20. If they want a good purse they have to put on a good show this has nothing to do with power. As far as the duals I don't even want them in the 2.5 class.

Coming from Guy's 19 year old daughter I know that a hand throttle and a hood stack have nothing to do with performance. :ford:

Here are my thoughts. Leave DRW trucks for towing trailers and 2.6 and bigger classes. The reason rules state stock size tires in some of the 2.5 classes, is so the footprint is similar to SRW trucks. You allow 33" DRW rules in a 2.5, parts will start breaking and then they will want ODL. With the power levels of the 2.5" class, SRW with one-ton drivetrain will get the job done. I still think the 2.5" should not be allowed to run hood stacks. Put the stack behind the cab. I do think hand throttles help P-pump trucks driveability. I think fuel cells in/under the bed are a good idea. I would be ok with hyd assist steering but not full hyd steering. If the 2.5 class didn't allow front weight box/brackets, upgraded stock style steering would suffice.

Here are my thoughts. Leave DRW trucks for towing trailers and 2.6 and bigger classes. The reason rules state stock size tires in some of the 2.5 classes, is so the footprint is similar to SRW trucks. You allow 33" DRW rules in a 2.5, parts will start breaking and then they will want ODL. With the power levels of the 2.5" class, SRW with one-ton drivetrain will get the job done. I still think the 2.5" should not be allowed to run hood stacks. Put the stack behind the cab. I do think hand throttles help P-pump trucks driveability. I think fuel cells in/under the bed are a good idea. I would be ok with hyd assist steering but not full hyd steering. If the 2.5 class didn't allow front weight box/brackets, upgraded stock style steering would suffice.
One thing that I will say referring to your comment about single tire will hold off the breakage from guys wanting ODL, these turbo rules are making the power that hits that happy medium area of where we aren't making too much hp/torque that were blowing the tires off and we're actually hooking up and really making these motors work and make the torque. My first set of gears i blew out this year I installed during the 2014 season had 52 hooks on them. After that one let go, I was lucky to get 2-4 hooks out of any of the brands. I know I am preaching to the chior but the quality of the gears are junk these days and changing r&p's in a 2.5 single tire truck is a joke. If I'd of known I would of had this much trouble, I'd of built a 2.6/3.0 truck with ODL. Bottom line is, if these gear companies don't get things straightened out, I'll be on board for open rear even for us.

Back