Sx300-62 secondary

Chowderhead72

I'm looking to build (have built) my first set of compound/twins. I am pretty set on the fmw 62 as my secondary but I am at a loss for a primary. Looking for a quick spooling 700-750 with minimal smoke. 475? 480? Race cover? Billet? Ar?

my buddy chris has a fmw for sale, low miles... its in the forsale section

If I could find a bb 4202 I would be there. 475? Not a 480? I was figuring at CompD I would be heckled for going so small.

So full list what turbos would I need?
Sx-300-62 t4. Twin scroll? Ar?
S475 83? Or 87? Which? Why? Ar?

A 62/75mm setup is matched well, i think most here will agree that efficiency trumps size.

A 62/68 would be the best IMO, gated or not depends on your manifold setup. You want a divided housing for sure

The 83 borg TW is not the best for a twin setup, even the 87 isn't ideal but a t6 housing would make it work...

Look at the specs of the fmw76

Last edited:
If you go with a s400 based turbo just stick with the 92 or 96 turbine wheel with the 1.32. If you put a smaller turbine than that the flow just will not be there to make the hp and the tighter exhaust housing will just cause your drive pressure to be through the roof. You would be crazy suprized how fast the 96 1.32 will spool up!

62/68/14
75/92/1.10 T6

Stay away from the 83 turbine in compounds, 87 at a minimum unless doing a small towing set than the 83 is a fine match.

I'm running this secondary with an 11-blade 75mm s400 with an 87mm turbine. The set spools decent put pulls hard when lit! Have not done much tuning with it thus far and need to get the drive gauge back on the truck to make sure drive is not excessive.

I'm running this secondary with an 11-blade 75mm s400 with an 87mm turbine. The set spools decent put pulls hard when lit! Have not done much tuning with it thus far and need to get the drive gauge back on the truck to make sure drive is not excessive.

Any idea why that link you posted is $100 less than anywhere else? Am I missing something?

Your set sound exactly like what I am trying to build. If you had to start over would you have used a tighter primary or a looser secondary?

Any idea why that link you posted is $100 less than anywhere else? Am I missing something?

Your set sound exactly like what I am trying to build. If you had to start over would you have used a tighter primary or a looser secondary?

At this point I don't have enough time on the set to say for certain. It takes a while to get going but everyone's definition of a while is different. It is full boogy in 2nd gear and tire spin city until it gains traction half way through 3rd from the few times I have gone wot. I don't have drive pressure readings yet to make any quantitative assessment so the only thing I can discuss is driveability and what it feels like. I am over 600hp at the tire is about all I could tell you. The truck feels stronger than it did when it was lowered running 12.07 and right now I am at stock height in the rear and leveled in the front with 80lb 35" tires, all in all about 300lbs heavier.

If I could find a bb 4202 I would be there. 475? Not a 480? I was figuring at CompD I would be heckled for going so small.

So full list what turbos would I need?
Sx-300-62 t4. Twin scroll? Ar?
S475 83? Or 87? Which? Why? Ar?

There are plenty of 4202's out there that are journal bearing. If It was my truck I would do a 4202 1.15w with the 62/68 .83 housing.

I have a 475 83-74 and a new t4 1.10 housing just chillin ;)

Just kidding, I really want to keep that turbo to run on my dads 05. Should do great for towing, which is what this truck does 90% of the time.

I have a rebuilt 63mm 11 blade with a 68mm turbine wheel from Jose at Forced Inductions. This is his new 11 blade wheel. (Turbo was bought originally from Forrest Nearing, new.)
Zero miles since rebuild, as I have another secondary turbo.
Have your choice of the brand new .83 divided, non gated T4 housing, or the .80 divided internally gated, ceramic coated T3 housing that has like 20 miles on it.
The T3 has a HX40 flange, and the T4 is a Mormon flange.
Compressor housing has a hose discharge, and also brand new.

PM me if your interested in it.

Oh...I also have a Forced Induction S482 with a 92mm turbine wheel and 1.10 AR T6 housing.
The exhaust housing is ceramic coated in a chrome like finish.
The compressor cover is the race cover with hose discharge.

Looks like I am going with the sx300-62 FMW t4 .83 divided internal gated (not sure of flange) over a box s475 96mm 1.32 ar looking at prices now. Looks like just under 2k? In turbos, almost the same I was going to spend on a GTX3582r secondary only ($1955 w/1.06 divided housing). A big part of giving up on Garrett was they are no longer making the 1.06 divided t4 housing for the 35 series. Take that Garrett! Now with my luck Garrett will release the GTX3788 the day after all of my stuff comes in..... I waited for almost a year for it but I am done waiting!

Any arguments on my primary choice? I am on the fence between the 92 and 96mm s475's what say you?

Back