T46 Holset turbo???

Chevycummins

Bad case of Tinkeritis!
Anyone have any personal experience with them? Done some research on the web and found it to be the early version of the HT3B but looks to be a little bigger. It's the one on the right. The part number on the left one comes up as a HT3B. Still Got to take the covers off and measure the wheels.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423308385869.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423308385869.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
I used to have one, it was a bit bigger than a 3b I think it had an 80mm compressor. Ran it with a he341. It was a little slow but worked ok

It's not a holset, it is a cummins turbo before holset existed, they don't like rpm.

Ht46 is an l10 turbo. I don't know what they measured, should be closer to hx50 but reverse rotation. Old school.

No, it is a reverse rotation turbo used on the 855 series engines, it is a precursor to the HT4B.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. I ran 4 separate champion graders with a "ht46" turbo that looked similar to that one, reverse rotation like that one as well.

The T series probably dates back to the late 60's, there had to be quite a few different models, our small 555 has a variant of a smaller one.

Would this be good or decent turbo to use with a set of 5x14 or 5x16 injectors and 62/71/.80? Or do I have a big paper weight?

Some good things came out of the 60's, turbos wasn't one of them.

9c3d99601d7df1acd5f6d2caf303cdd0.jpg
68e89a5d6748de7771841c20c0d141e6.jpg
Best use I found for a t50.

Sent from my recliner but naked eating Cheetos

The T60 I have is just as ugly as yours LOL

I never even gave it a thought to run one. They look like something off of Clessie Cummins first engine. I will say the shaft in mine is twice the size of most Holset shafts.

It looks beefy, but not sure how efficient it would be in compounds lol

My exhaust housing looked like a nightmare. It was an open T6 and larger than the cold side in overall size. The turbine wheel in mine is ridiculous as well.

We have an 855 at the shop here with one of these on it. Drove the truck into the shop. The charger does well on that engine. Charger leaks like crazy though.

mid 70s charger, Schwitzer 4LHR was an upgrade for it in the early 80s. Later Holset made HT3 which was almost similar to 4LHR. T46 is low rpm very narrow operating range charger, I would use it only with some historical truck engine to get right look and sound.

Back