Tach problem

02BigD

Lovin Life...
Buddy has an 06 5.9 with a manual tranny.

Has a bullydog triple programmer.

The tach works when and how it feels like it. Swings wildly around, and doesn't work at all some of the times.

Truck runs and idles great, power seems to be fine.

Any suggestions on resolving this?

Thanks in advance...

Buddy has an 06 5.9 with a manual tranny.

Has a bullydog triple programmer.

The tach works when and how it feels like it. Swings wildly around, and doesn't work at all some of the times.

Truck runs and idles great, power seems to be fine.

Any suggestions on resolving this?

Thanks in advance...

He doesn't go through the alvin, texas area does he? I saw one just like that the other day on the road. It was working exactly like you explained :lolly:

He doesn't go through the alvin, texas area does he? I saw one just like that the other day on the road. It was working exactly like you explained :lolly:

Long drive from Wilmington, NC....:hehe:

Ya.. I heard the clusters are goofy. My 06 tach reads right except at an idle. Reads like 400rpm!! Not a big issue

ya and a cluster is like 350 bucks or something i think, mine reads 600rpm at idle

Mine does it too. Not only do they read low but mine will jump up to 5K if the tranny down shifts. Too bad it's out of warranty.

Some times it works good, other times it will read 400 at idle, and some time nothing at all.. when its dead I can tap on the glass and get it to respond.

I put in a used cluster over the weekend. The good news is that I have a working tach again, the bad news is the mileage is wrong. Do I have to take it to the dealer to have them reset the new (to me) cluster?

Thanks!

Bump..........

I inquired with my local dealership who said they cannot change the mileage on the cluster. What does the dealer do when they replace the bad cluster with a new unit?

Good question. I'm starting to notice more and more (06+) with tach problems. Surely their's not going to be a bunch of these trucks out there with the wrong mileage reading..

my new to me 06 mega has the same problem. the tach works great for about the first 10 minutes in the morning then it has a mind of its own. full throttle take off and it revs to 5k then idle thru town and it reads 200 rpm. I looked into a reman cluster and can get one locally for about $130. might do that but right now the quad scout monitor shows my rpms just fine.

Back