Tail lights will "not" go out

Pickles

Reads too much
The tail lights on my truck will not go out, I checked all the fuses, disconected my brake controller, the e-brake light is on but my e-brake is off, the only wat to get them off is disconnect the battery.

is it the running light or the brake light that stays on. If it's the brake light check the switch under the brake pedal to see if it's hung up. Other than a short thats the only thing I can think of off the top of my head if you've disconnected the brake controller

Well there's my stupidity, idk there's a switch underneath the brake pedal, ill check that tomorro morning!

I'm assuming theres a switch, the only way I could imagine the light being activated. Just a momentary switch like if you were running a nitrous switch

good info lorendiesel, I'll keep that in mind if I ever experiance that problem. Just also for referance and although this was on an older gas dodge I've seen a brake controller hooked up and allows the trailer brakes to come on but NOT the tail lights on the truck even when the trailer was unplugged. So opposite problem you're having but half as* relevant

this happened to my 05. replaced the brake switch. it was fine for a couple of days......

Hopefully its just your brake switch

i believe the switch is called a stoplight switch. i just looked on autozone and its only a 12.99 switch.

I found it, there's a switch above the brake pedal. Its a spring loaded rod that pushed out when you push the brake pedal turning on the lights, that switch popped out causing that rod to be permanently out, thanx for your help guys

I found it, there's a switch above the brake pedal. Its a spring loaded rod that pushed out when you push the brake pedal turning on the lights, that switch popped out causing that rod to be permanently out, thanx for your help guys

If the clips holding said switch are broke it will keep popping out repeatedly until you get mad enough at that you replace it or glue it in like I did. Also if the rod is not contacting the the pedal arm even with the switch in place you can adjust the rod by pulling it out of the switch. This has been my experience on 2nd gen dodges and International 4700 series trucks I don't know if it applies to other makes or models.

The clips are fine and so is the rod I don't know how it came undone

Didn't have a oh sh...t issue and slam on the brakes lately did you??:hehe::hehe:

The switch is actually above the pedal not below it. The only way it will pop out is if you pull up on the brake pedal for god knows what reason.

my brakes lights got the same problem, replaced the brake switch under the dash, fixed everything. There should be a lever on the new brake switch make sure you plug it up, put it into place no pressure on the brakes then flip that lever down or you'll end up with the same problem again.

Back