Tall Gears

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
What standard (not the new Ford 120mm) 8-lug rear axle was available with what gear as the tallest gear ratio? And where do you get one?

I know first gen Dodges had an available 3.07 GR. Anything else? Anything taller than that??

As far as I know the D71 in the non ic trucks were the tallest factory geared truck at 3.07 you can get. I think you can get a 3.31 for the AAM but wasnt stock.

Kool beans. I didn't know if the early fords or Chevy's had anything similar. Not like they had OD's then either. at least not good ones.

I don't think a 9" is an option for this truck, not at 6300 pounds at least.

I would think a 9" could be built stronger than a 70, considering how many people seem to break them.

I've seen something about a Ford 10.25 that can fit a 3.08, but I have no idea of the strength of the axle. 14 bolts also apparently came with a 3.08 back in the day, but they're discontinued. =/

Yeah but depending on what your plans are you may want to check on your locker options before you pull the trigger on one.

3.07's have a weird offset gear so I'm not totally sure that a Detroit will fit in there. Either you need a spacer for the ring gear or it won't fit at all, I can't remember.

Lockrite? I'm trying to talk myself into one, but I can't risk it ****ting itself and taking out my gearset...

These 3.07's are a ***** to find for a Taco-friendly price. :banghead:

I can see that. I love the ones I have used (not in a diesel though). I will get one when I get a 3.07 geared axle.

The one in my Chevelle is still going great after 14 years of abuse!!!

Is this for the Land Speed idea? If so, I think the 3.07 will be plenty to get you to 180 easy with the right tire size.

The taller gear tends to put less torque into the axles and diff guts vs a steeper gear. It and the axles should last better, but the u joints and out put shaft may not.

I wanna put 3.07's in my d70, just don't wanna spend 650 for them. If you can get an old d71 with 3.07 would be a good bit cheaper. I don't wanna lose my rear discs though.

FWIW, my truck will get right to 100 in 4th with a 265/75/16 and a Getrag.

I figure that's right at the 3k rpm mark, since I've only got a 3200 spring in it and it defuels extremely hard around there.

Edit: Gear ratio calculator puts that at a hair over 3200.

Last edited:
FWIW, my truck will get right to 100 in 4th with a 265/75/16 and a Getrag.

I figure that's right at the 3k rpm mark, since I've only got a 3200 spring in it and it defuels extremely hard around there.
Id like to do that in 3rd without a GV :)

Back