Tappet cover gasket

gulfcoastkustom

I just got my truck back together after my swap and I have an oil leak already! I used all new gaskets but must have not gotten a good seal on the tappet cover because it is drenching the drivers side of my motor. Has anybody ever attempted to replace the cover gasket with the p pump still there? I am dreading removing everything again in order to fix an oil leak. I haven't 100% pinpointed the leak from the tappet cover but I am betting that's got to be it. My leak is there whether the truck is running or not and its running down the side of the motor around the transfer pump/starter area. Its definitely not the valve cover gasket or the head gasket because its all dry up to the top of the block. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

If you have the block off plate for the transfer pump, I have seen them leak a lot.

IIRC I tried removing one once with everything on but you cant get it off with the injection pump on. I believe it has to come out to change the gasket. Make sure all hardware is tight and all bolts are in before you take it apart for loose hardware. That's my suggestions.

Just a fyi the tappet gasket can be put on wrong. It looks the same but one side is just a little bit taller. That side needs to go on the inside. I put it on wrong and it was just puking oil down the side of the block.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

make sure to clean the mating area on the block, and use some kind of sealant on the block side of the gasket to help it seal. and yes you will need to pull the pump...

Thanks for the input guys. I read some other posts about oil breather possibly being an issue. I am running the stock 24 valve tappet cover and only have the stock oil breather tube from the timing cover. do any of you think that putting an additional breather cap on the valve cover would help my situation. I am certain that the gasket is on the right way and I used a speed wheel to clean up the mating surfaces of both the block and the tappett cover prior to installing. the only thing that I can think of is to use more RTV if it is truly the source of the leak and I have to pull it again.

Once the gasket is leaking, there isn't anything to stop it from leaking even if you remove any positive pressure. So either way you'll need to remove the cover and reseal it.

You shouldn't have any issues with just those breathers, but it doesn't hurt to add more.

Start it up and let it get hot and then crawl under it and pull the starter. Once the starter is out of the way you'll be able to visually inspect the last half of the tIppet cover and the block off plate. I've seen a couple that leaked on the bottom right corner.

With the starter out of the way you can check 4 of the bolts to make sure they are all tight. You may have to move the ECU out of the way depending on where you mounted it during the swap.

I'd definitely pull the starter before tearing everything apart to ensure that is actually where your leak is coming from.

It is definately worth the time to 100% diagnos the leak. I just found one today... the tube on a 12v tappet cover has a split in it causing oil leak at rear. Rather than do a bunch of unneccesary work invest some time and a few cans of brakecleaner.

The last time I had to pull the pump I removed the radiator, intercooler, A/C condenser. Is all of that neccessary to pull the pump?

Thanks for the input guys. I read some other posts about oil breather possibly being an issue. I am running the stock 24 valve tappet cover and only have the stock oil breather tube from the timing cover. do any of you think that putting an additional breather cap on the valve cover would help my situation. I am certain that the gasket is on the right way and I used a speed wheel to clean up the mating surfaces of both the block and the tappett cover prior to installing. the only thing that I can think of is to use more RTV if it is truly the source of the leak and I have to pull it again.
You used rtv and a gasket on the tappet cover?

I had this same thing happen to me this past fall. I replaced the VP and figured I'd do the tappet cover gasket while I was there because it was leaking just a little bit.

I used RTV the first time I put the gasket on. Once the truck made oil pressure it pushed the gasket right out. I did this twice with the same result!

The third time I had everything apart I super glued the gasket to the cover. Then I made sure the surface of the block was 100% clean of oil or any dirt. I cleaned it 2 or 3 times with brake cleaner and rags. Haven't had a problem with it at all.

Just a few months ago a guy hired me to fix the same issue on a F450. Put the new gasket on the same way I did mine and he hasn't had a problem yet either.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161506

There's your problem.

Just gasket and no RTV then? I only used a bit to keep the gasket in place while I got it lined up. The gasket also came from Auto Zone and it was a big bright blue one. Do you know if the local parts store gaskets are decent?

I had this same thing happen to me this past fall. I replaced the VP and figured I'd do the tappet cover gasket while I was there because it was leaking just a little bit.

I used RTV the first time I put the gasket on. Once the truck made oil pressure it pushed the gasket right out. I did this twice with the same result!

The third time I had everything apart I super glued the gasket to the cover. Then I made sure the surface of the block was 100% clean of oil or any dirt. I cleaned it 2 or 3 times with brake cleaner and rags. Haven't had a problem with it at all.

Just a few months ago a guy hired me to fix the same issue on a F450. Put the new gasket on the same way I did mine and he hasn't had a problem yet either.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try this go around and hopefully I get it fixed. The funny thing is that the side of the motor is filthy with oil/residue but I haven't noticed any drop on the oil level on my dipstick. My driveway is looking rough though! HOA is already making a stink about it.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161506

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try this go around and hopefully I get it fixed. The funny thing is that the side of the motor is filthy with oil/residue but I haven't noticed any drop on the oil level on my dipstick. My driveway is looking rough though! HOA is already making a stink about it.

That's why I use the high temp spray. It's an RTV based adhesive. Keeps the gasket on the cover and there's no way that gasket is getting spit out under pressure.

Back