TDI Beetle

burnie6bt

Diesel Raised
The ole lady just bought a 2001 TDI Beetle, rebuilt trans, rebuilt injection pump, timing belt replaced, new water pump, and rebuilt turbo has 177k on it. Sounded like a pretty good gig to me so she pick it up. Now im not too familiar with the VW diesels, more exposure to cummins and some older mercedes........My question is there anything that should be done to improve the reliablilty of these cars or something that was wrong from that factory that needs corrected?

What tranny? Manual or auto? The auto tranny in these cars sucks balls, mine had one, operative word, had LOL Sounds like the main failure points have been hit. The one area I would look at is the egr, is it still there, and if it is, how long since the intake has been cleaned? That can make a major difference in the power levels as the intake runners will be clogged up so bad you can't drop a dime through them.

I haven't actually seen the car she picked it up today and I am working. The gentlemen who she bought it from seemed very knowledgable from what she told me and she said "he mentioned something about cleaning something out, but i dont remeber" exact words haha so im assuming it was the EGR he cleaned regualrly. He works for cummins and owned another TDI so hes doin something right haha. Yes it is and automatic though I didnt realize they were that bad but maybe she'll get another 177k out of this one. fingerscrossed

Back