tdi ranger

jeff115

ok i got a bug for my wife the other day, and im really impressed with the milleage and power. so i want to put a tdi in my ranger. the motor in it died, but it has a clutch, and tranny from a 5.o. so i think it will hold up to the torque, im thinkin stock turbo/hx35 twins or something, but what i need is to know how much power can you squeez out of the little motors. whats needed to get the power and what parts need to be upgraded to handle it like headgasket studs and stuff like that.
oh and were do you find one for an affordable price

I have seen them on Ebay a time or to, There are a few different sizes other than the 1.9, also a flat 5 too, and a mechanical injection 1.9. If I had the time and money I would do it too.

i hear the 1.9 alh is the way to go for tinkerin.ive got the time now but that might change in a while so i hope to do this soon

i would think getting it to mate up to the trans in the ranger would be one of the more difficult things to accomplish.

there is a local shop cant remember what there name was but i was told they can do adapter plates and adapt the shafts.

If you can find or make the adaptor plate you will be golden, 200HP is very doable with the ALH motor in a drivable, single turbo setup. Look for a 98-03 Jetta, Golf or Beetle that has been wrecked, you are going to need a bunchaton of the wiring and computer parts. TDIclub for info, look around, they have a truly awesome tech base on these motors.

that would be a sweet deal if you could make it work i would check the ratios int he trans and make sure that the final drive ratios will be correct with the lower rpms of the diesel engine. you might have to change you rear ring and pinion.

could i use an older mechanical pump on an alh motor? im not good with electronics, and i am on tdi club too lots of info on there

Use a full mechanical motor, or a 1.6 head with a 1.9 block etc to get the extra .3L out of it, the motors are pretty much identical, I think it would be easier to do that than source everything. I've never looked at doing it though, so I could very well be telling you wrong. FWIW, the wiring on them is not to bad, very clearly marked and once you figure it out, pretty easy.

well maybe ill use the wires i gues. how about some info on making power i think 150-200 hp would be plenty in my little truck is it possible reliably? and how would i get there?

Bosio 725's or equivalent, good tune from Rocketchip, Kerma, Diesel inside or others, studs, turbo, good intercooler, EGR delete, intake and exhaust. Pretty much it.

I think theres a Diesel swap shop in Austin that does swaps into Toyota pickups. I lost there link in my last crash.

Just throwing this out there.

Wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to drop a 4bt in? I know of a guy that put a 4bt with a NV4500 in a 90s rager 4x4, and its badass, plus he gets in the 30s for mpg.

i dont know so far for a good complete motor adapter kit and enough money se aside for other stuff like fuel line and exhaust it will be just over $2000 to do it. it will be alot lighter and quieter than a 4bt and the truck is 2wd so its light i think a vw would be plenty power full. but on the tuning side i gues a 4bt would be easier cause there are no electronics but i think the vw will be pretty simple

I really like that motor. I bought the wife a TDI Jetta wagon in 03. She was getting almost 65 mpg hwy it was so rediculous.

ya mileage is amazing i checked it on the second tank and at the first of the fill up i did the evry mod then 100 miles later put injecters in it and rallied it the whole tank and got 44.3 its the coolest the only way it would be cooler is in a square style ranger with a 5 inch stack

Back